[Solved] I cannot use "i" in the math formula , why?

Discuss the formula editor
lilzz

[Solved] I cannot use "i" in the math formula , why?

Post by lilzz »

insert object formula.
X=Pint -3

I have P_int so that the int can become subscript but once I have i , it transform into special character.
nt character of int are OK, only i character causes issue.

I want to have subscript.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.2.8.2 on Ubuntu
FJCC

Re: I cannot have the i character in the math formula , why?

Post by FJCC »

Try

Code: Select all

P_"int"
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Re: I cannot have the i character in the math formula , why?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
lilzz wrote:I have P_int so that the int can become subscript but once I have i , it transform into special character.
In my version of Open Office, int is an operator which tells the Math component that an integral is to be created. There are several ways to prevent Math from interpreting int as the integral operator. I prefer the %int syntax, which tells Math to use the %int symbol from the catalog. Since there is none, Math uses int as the symbol's value.
Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 22.54.54 .png
 Edit: 2019-08-07: The technique in the last line, %int, displayed int in OpenOffice 3.2 but displays %int in OpenOffice 4.1.5. Currently the best solution seems to be P_{ital "int"} for int or other names which match Math operators
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).