[Solved] Insert function

Discuss the formula editor
Gustav Mahler

[Solved] Insert function

Post by Gustav Mahler »

Dear Users,
I have a problem with recognized funtions: I'm Italian, and in my language the function sin(x) is written sen(x). The problem is that Open Office Math dosn't recognize it as a function and types it as it were a variable. How can I solve my problem? (if it is possible without any trick concerning the font). Thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
acknak

Re: Insert function

Post by acknak »

Try

Code: Select all

"sen"(x)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Gustav Mahler

Post by Gustav Mahler »

Thank you, acknak,
your solution is simple and efficient. Now I wander if it is possible to "teach" OOFormula to recognize the fuction "sen", so that whenever I insert sen, the editor automatically turns it to the correct form. Thanks.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I agree, it is not very nice to have to use the quotes all the time.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to define a special string as you want. You can define a name for a special symbol, but it can be only one character.

Have you asked on a national-language forum? I know there is a very active Italian OOo forum (or list, I'm not exactly sure). It's very possible that the Math function names can be localized, or are localized already. Are you using an Italian OOo or language pack?
jumbo444

Post by jumbo444 »

Hello,

French FAQ proposes another way :
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... Q/Math/007

Add "func" in front of the name of the function

Laurent BP
LibO 3.6.7.1 on Win7
Gustav Mahler

Post by Gustav Mahler »

Thank you, jumbo444,
that was the solution I was looking for. Now, if it is possible I'd like, to store my function "sen" among the OOFormula's standard function. Then I've another problem with the integral symbol: it remains little even if its argument is a "tall" function, like a fraction. It is possible to solve also this problem?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Using "func sen" is certainly the intended path. Sorry I didn't mention it at first--I thought I remembered something like it, but I missed it in the help.

However, it's still not very nice. It's too bad the catalog (or something) can't provide a simple macro facility for Math, so you could define (once) "%sen" to be "func sen", and then have it available for every formula.

As for your other question, please start a new thread, so we keep the topics separate--grazie!