[Solved] Polar Form complex numbers

Discuss the formula editor
SergiusSilus

[Solved] Polar Form complex numbers

Post by SergiusSilus »

I can´t write my complex number in polar form • 1+i= sqrt{2} │_%pi over 4___ how to write argument with " │____ " symbol?? Thaks!!
Last edited by SergiusSilus on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 (spanish) on Win 7 Home Premium
acknak

Re: Polar Form complex numbers

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

I'm not sure exactly what you want. Maybe something like this:

1+i= sqrt{2} left lline underline{%pi over 4} right none
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the interesting question.
SergiusSilus wrote:I can´t write my complex number in polar form • 1+i= sqrt{2} │_%pi over 4___ how to write argument with " │____ " symbol??
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 12.40.55 .png
The text above was written with the Math component of Open Office. I can't attach the file because the forum, for some bizarre reason, doesn't allow uploads of .odf files. Here's the text used to create the Math formula.
"I've been a mathematician for 40 years." newline
"I have never seen notation like"~ sqrt{2} left lline underline{%pi over 4} right none newline
"though I would believe that's what your textbook uses." newline newline
"The usual ways to write" 1+i "in polar form are:" newline
sqrt{2} ( cos{%pi over 4} + i sin{%pi over 4} ) ~~~~"or"~~~~ sqrt{2} `func e^{i %pi over 4} newline
"I think engineers sometimes use:"~ sqrt{2} ~underline{size 20 "/"}~ %pi over 4

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Daiwe01

Post by Daiwe01 »

The Unicode Angle character is predefined in the Symbol Catalog.
Attachments
zMathAngle.jpg
zMathAngle.jpg (11.33 KiB) Viewed 9147 times
AOO 4.1.5 Win7Pro/2KPro/XP & *nix (But my heart is still VAX/VMS)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

MrProgrammer wrote:The text above was written with the Math component of Open Office. I can't attach the file because the forum, for some bizarre reason, doesn't allow uploads of .odf files.
Because we had never had to upload such file in fact. I just allowed it so it should be fine for the next one.
Note that you can upload an ODT file, including the formula.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hagar Delest wrote:Because we had never had to upload such file in fact. I just allowed it so it should be fine for the next one.
Thank you.
Hagar Delest wrote:Note that you can upload an ODT file, including the formula.
Actually I may have done that in the past but forgot about that solution when posting today.
Daiwe01 wrote:The Unicode value is U+2220.
The Unicode charts show what U+2220 is supposed to look like, and that seems to be different than the character produced by %angle, though %angle is an easy solution and may serve the OP's need adequately.
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 14.00.34 .png
On my system, %angle displays something similar to U+2222, pictured above. The exact shape of the character depends on the font.
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 14.15.48 .png
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 14.15.48 .png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Daiwe01

Post by Daiwe01 »

Daiwe01 wrote:The Unicode Angle character is predefined in the Symbol Catalog.
Oops. I should have verified the definition in the Catalog. :oops:
The character defined in the Symbol Catalog is actually U+2222 (Unicode name Spherical Angle).
Options now are change to U+2220 (Unicode name Angle) or add a new symbol for that character. How to add or modify Symbol Catalog characters
Last edited by Daiwe01 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AOO 4.1.5 Win7Pro/2KPro/XP & *nix (But my heart is still VAX/VMS)
SergiusSilus

[solved] Polar Form complex numbers

Post by SergiusSilus »

thanks guys!!. now I use the right angle character!.
this mathematical expression is teaching at the University for pedagogic purpose. This is not a very academic form, but it is used in some chairs yet. I prefer uses subscript but my note-taking should reflect the class. however, in spanish speaking places, a common notation is the right angle character. Thanks again!!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 (spanish) on Win 7 Home Premium
floris v
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Polar Form complex numbers

Post by floris v »

In the Netherlands, polar co-ordinates are usually written in the form (radius, angle), or in this case (√2, π/4) (but an exception is made for complex numbers, they are written in the notation used by MrProgrammer). Maybe √2 | π/4 is a local variation on that notation.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum