[Solved] Position and Size greyed out

Discuss the formula editor
richard2197

[Solved] Position and Size greyed out

Post by richard2197 »

Hi. I've just started using the options associated with writing formulas.

I open OpenOffice (soffice.exe).

I open a text document, then I've chosen Insert>Object>Formula. I've typed in my formuula.

There is just one problem, in Properties, Position and Size is greyed out. So, I cannot alter the position or size.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks.

I'm running XP Pro on a pretty dated Acer ASPIRE 5315.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice.org 4.1.5
Windows7 Professional
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Position and Size greyyed out

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum.
Right click the formula, select Anchor, select To character instead of As character. You can then change the position, but not the size.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
richard2197

Re: Position and Size greyed out

Post by richard2197 »

I can move the formula object around. And I see the wrap options are no longer greyed out. But, no option to enlarge the object. Is that a bug? Or what? ;)
Windows7 Professional
richard2197

Post by richard2197 »

If I click on the formula object it takes me the where I create my formula. If I then select Format>Font Size, I can change the font size. Does not save that setting though. Placed new formula below and I get the default small size again of formula text.
Windows7 Professional
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You can't change the size, there's no need to, either. Yp cuan do that by adding space around it.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Post by acknak »

I remember that changes were made so that formula objects were specifically prevented from changing size. I can't remember what the reason was; it didn't seem all that convincing to me.

If you really want re-sizable formulas, copy the object, then use Edit > Paste Special, as "GDI Metafile". The result is a graphic that can be resized any way you like--but it can no longer be edited as a formula. So you'll want to store the formula somewhere else in case you need to edit it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
richard2197

Post by richard2197 »

Oh. If I make a change as per Format>Font Size, and then click "Default" button, I'm asked: "Should the changes be made as defaults?" And - "These changes will apply to all new formula". So, I have some control.

EDIT: It has worked. I've reset the formula font size. It was a tad on the small size. I just enlarged it a bit so it's a bit clearer in the text document. Seem sorted.
Windows7 Professional