How to Run an equation in OpenOffice Math

Discuss the formula editor
MazSd

How to Run an equation in OpenOffice Math

Post by MazSd »

Hi

I was able to write several equations in Math.
Now I would like to know how to run those equations. How can I define the unknown values in an equation and make it give me an output.
and Can I make several equations run in the same file or I need to have a file for each equation and if I can, Can you tell me how?

Thank you. :D
open office 3.1 running on 32-bit operating system
RusselB

Re: How to Run an equation in open office Math

Post by RusselB »

From the help file under OpenOffice Math Features
Formulas cannot be calculated in OpenOffice Math because it is a formula editor (for writing and showing formulas) and not a calculation program. Use spreadsheets to calculate formulas, or for simple calculations use the text document calculation function.
Thus, I suspect you could have several equations run in the same file, but you have to get the formulae into a spreadsheet first.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MazSd

Post by MazSd »

Hi,
Thanks for your response.

Even on the spreadsheet I couldn't run it I don't know why.
I import it to OpenOffice cal which is a spreadsheet and i couldn't find a way.
It's not a super complex equation but it's somewhat complex.
If you can help me with that. Thank you.
open office 3.1 running on 32-bit operating system
acknak

Post by acknak »

OO has no ability to do any calculations with OO Math formulas--none at all, in Calc or any orther application. OO Math is intended for typesetting formulas for print/display only.

You can use formulas for calculations in Calc but spreadsheet formulas are typically very different from written mathematics.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If you could explain the calculation you want to do, we might be able to explain how to do it in Calc.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

"Math" is just a layout tool for mathemathical formulas. It does not actually do any math. To solve equations, you need software which can do algebra.

Geogebra will solve linear equations (also equation sets), and I belive it will also do some polynomials. Don't know about other kinds, eg. involving exponentials/logarithms or differentials, but I suspect you have to look elsewhere for those.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10