[Solved] How can I move the formula display?

Discuss the formula editor
MathFool

[Solved] How can I move the formula display?

Post by MathFool »

Hi, I have a questions and could not find what I was looking for in the manual. How do you move around the problems? I know I can move the box I type the expressions into, but I don't know how to move the expression around. What I really want is to put it on the upper left hand corner. I tried Alighn Left from the formats section, but it only moved the terms to the left side of my fraction.

Late Edit: if my goal is just a tips sheet, am I better off just using Writer? This Math program seems kind jumpy. Does Writer have the same functions for writing equations?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: How to move the problems around?
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
keme
Volunteer

Re: How to move the problems around?

Post by keme »

Math is not intended for creating standalone documents. It is possible to save a math object as a separate file, but Math in itself has no concept of page (boundaries, margins, orientation). If you try to print a slightly complex formula directly from Math, it is quite possible that the output will be an unintelligible mess, because of parts of the fomula dropping "out of bounds" where positioning is undefined.

The best approach in many cases is to insert a formula object into a Writer document. When you do that, the default anchoring of the formula is "as character", so it follows the text flow. You can right click the formula object to change that. Anchoring to paragraph is fine if you have a flow of examples. If you use one page for each example, it may be better to anchor the object to page.

Note that alignment choices work differently depending on the context you are working in. If you are editing the formula, choosing left alignment will align all grouped items (like fractions and stacked items) to the left within the group. When you exit the formula (go back to Writer context where the formula is an inserted object), left aligning the formula will move it to the left margin without altering internal formatting within the formula.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Re: How to move the problems around?

Post by acknak »

You might take a look at the "Getting Started with Math" guide: OOo Guides

I also find this "Math cheatsheet" (attached to issue 72777) to be a huge help.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
edward77

Re: [Solved] How to move the problems around?

Post by edward77 »

Hi, I recently put in a query as to how one moves a Math equation box in an Open Office text doc. I did not get an answer and now discover the query has been removed. Have I done something wrong?
Open Office 4.7 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: [Solved] How to move the problems around?

Post by robleyd »

It has been moved to a new topic - see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101641&p=490301

You can see all your posts by using the link View your posts at the top of most pages in the forum.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers