[Solved] OpenOffice Math Weird Symbol Help

Discuss the formula editor
crispyrice2008

[Solved] OpenOffice Math Weird Symbol Help

Post by crispyrice2008 »

Hi all,

It's my first time using OpenOffice.org software, I used to play around MS Office in the past. I have a question about OpenOffice Math commands

when I type in a simple equation y = m*x+1 in the command window, I was expecting the Math to display y=m*x+1, however, it displays:
y *keylock symbol*m*x(letter)1
the exact picture is attached with this post.

I think it may be something to do with font error, because I recently unsuccessfully removed MS office, and its leftover may corrupt some of openoffice font.

Please guide me through this problem

thank you
Attachments
weird symbol
weird symbol
temp.png (764 Bytes) Viewed 6893 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu May 30, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Window 7 Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice Math Weird Symbol Help

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As a first shot, check the font used indeed.
You can also upload a sample file so that we have a look (see How to attach a document here).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
crispyrice2008

Post by crispyrice2008 »

thanks for the quick reply, I have attached a small formula I used to test for this problem. If you need more comprehensive sample, I can do that asap.
Attachments
fonttest.zip
small sample
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Window 7 Pro
RGB

Post by RGB »

The Math object looks OK here, it seems that in your system there is a missing font. By default AOO use opensymbol(1) for math operators so there is a problem with this font on your system.

(1) The font file is opens___.ttf and at least on Linux it is installed on <main AOO install dir>/basis3.4/share/fonts/truetype/
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
crispyrice2008

Post by crispyrice2008 »

When I search for OpenSymbol in my C drive, it return opens___.ttf file, and I tried to install it, but it implied that it is already installed.
I'm not sure what to do, is re-installing openoffice going to fix it? or should I get download and replace the existing opensymbol file?
I have attached opensymbol file in this post if you're interested to look at it.

btw, opens___.ttf is in my window/font folder, and my openoffice folder doesn't seem to have the opensymbol file. Can it be the cause of the problem?

thank you
Attachments
opens___.zip
(120.85 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Window 7 Pro
RGB

Post by RGB »

Your font file is identical to mine (same check sum) so that's not the problem. Try to reset the user profile.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
crispyrice2008

Post by crispyrice2008 »

Thank you very much, after I reset the /user folder, it seems to fix itself
:)
can I delete the user.old folder now?
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Window 7 Pro
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

It is a good idea to keep a copy of your profile folder in case the one in use gets corrupted. I would keep the one that is now called user.old and probably change the name to something like user_May30_2013.bak
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.