[Solved] Missing Commands dialog for equations

Discuss the formula editor
WOEaintME

[Solved] Missing Commands dialog for equations

Post by WOEaintME »

Any ideas where this is on 3.4.1? There is no "View > Selection" that I can see and my Selection/Formula window has disappeared from both OO Math & OO Writer.
Last edited by WOEaintME on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Can't get the dialog to create equations

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try View>Elements.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
WOEaintME

Post by WOEaintME »

Hmm. View Elements pulls up the small box to add inequalities, operators, etc. but it still doesn't restore the window at the bottom of the screen.

Basically the screen where you type things like:

F = ma
newline
W = F cdot d

does not show up and I can't seem to restore it. I've even tried a reinstall to no avail.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
Windows 7
acknak

Post by acknak »

WOEaintME wrote:... it still doesn't restore the window at the bottom of the screen. ...
Maybe the editing area has been shrunk down to zero size somehow?

If you double-click on a formula (or do Insert > Object > Formula), look at the very bottom edge of the Writer window: instead of the usual status information, it will go blank when the formula editor is active.

Now check the "frame" or "bar" just above the (empty) status bar area: in the middle of that bar, you may see a little "handle" it looks like a short gray dotted line. If you find that handle, click on it; the editing area should re-appear. The handle is actually a button that you can click on to show/hide the formula editing area.

If the handle doesn't seem to do anything, it may be because the editing panel has been sized down to nothing. To fix that, hover the mouse pointer just to the left or right of the handle. The mouse cursor should change to a double-headed arrow. When it changes, press the mouse button, hold, and drag upward to expand the formula editing area. You can make it as big as you like.

You may have to combine those steps to get it back--if the panel is sized down to nothing, then the handle seems to have no effect. If the handle is in the "hide" state, then the double-arrow cursor won't appear.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
WOEaintME

Post by WOEaintME »

I've put an image of my dilemma:
b3vJz.jpg
For that screenshot I'm in the editing mode (as evidenced by the elements window and, as acknak suggested, the status bar is empty) however I see nothing above the empty status that's clickable (except the scrollbar of course).

When I enter into a formula (or insert a new one) you can see it flash up on screen for a split second before it disappears without a trace.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pic embedded.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you position cursor over the little dots middle screen bottom, does it turn into two headed arrow? If so, click and drag upwards.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Missing Commands dialog for equations

Post by Hagar Delest »

Problem is that I don't see the grips that is usually there.

You should try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

I've split your discussion from the initial topic since it's a completely different problem.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hagar: I think the Elements window is intruding from an open instance of the Formula Editor. If you insert a formula in Writer, and then select the formula frame, you get the three dots above Status bar. I don't use Formula Editor, so am at limits of my knowledge here. If Formula Editor is open in Writer you get the three dots and five (or is it seven?) just above tatus bar
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yeah, I agree: it looks like your settings have gone bad somehow--the adjustable bar should appear between the status area and the scroll bar.

Try a fresh profile.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
WOEaintME

Post by WOEaintME »

Thanks a million to everyone :bravo: , the fresh profile has solved my problems and sorry about using an unrelated topic, it seemed similar however it became evident that it wasn't so thanks again for your patience and advice.
OpenOffice 3.4.1
Windows 7