[Solved] Increasing the number of special characters

Discuss the formula editor
peter2108

[Solved] Increasing the number of special characters

Post by peter2108 »

In the formula editor do Tools > Catalog and select Special as the character set. The dialog pane on the left shows 12 symbols. I want to add a thirteenth symbol (degree actually). I can transform - if that's the best word - an existing symbol into degree and choose a symbol from the font. But that replaces an existing one. I want to add one more. I suspect this cannot be done .... but hopefully I've missed something obvious!
Last edited by peter2108 on Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 Pro OpenOffice 3.3.0
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: Increasing the number of special characters

Post by Robert Tucker »

I think this old thread is still correct:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=34556

OpenOffice Help files (F1), OpenOffice Math, Index tab > "catalog for mathematical symbols", click the link "Edit Symbols" under "Edit".
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
peter2108

Post by peter2108 »

Robert Tucker wrote:I think this old thread is still correct:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=34556

OpenOffice Help files (F1), OpenOffice Math, Index tab > "catalog for mathematical symbols", click the link "Edit Symbols" under "Edit".
As far as I can see that describes how to change one of the existing twelve symbols in the palette - not to add a thirteenth
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

That one perhaps: [Solved] Adding to the Special Character List.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

peter2108 wrote:In the formula editor do Tools > Catalog and select Special as the character set. The dialog pane on the left shows 12 symbols. I want to add a thirteenth
symbol (degree actually). I can transform - if that's the best word - an existing symbol into degree and choose a symbol from the font. But that replaces an existing one. I want to add one more. I suspect this cannot be done .... but hopefully I've missed something obvious!
Just start as if you want to change the symbol and then write a new name: the new symbol will be created. See here:
[TIP]Adding new symbols to Math
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

peter2108 wrote:As far as I can see that describes how to change one of the existing twelve symbols in the palette - not to add a thirteenth
It says:
Edit Symbols
Use this dialog to add symbols to a symbol set, to edit symbol sets, or to modify symbol notations. You can also define new symbol sets, assign names to symbols, or to modify existing symbol sets
and goes on:
Adding a New Symbol
To add a symbol to a symbol set, select a font in the Font box, and then click a symbol in symbols pane. In the Symbol box, type a name for the symbol. In the Symbol set list box, select a symbol set, or type a new name to create a new symbol set. The right preview pane displays the symbol that you selected. Click Add and then OK.
peter2108

Post by peter2108 »

Thanks - this works fine. How is the documentation you quoted accessed? I could not find it.
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

peter2108 wrote:How is the documentation you quoted accessed?
Help>OpenOffice Help or hit the F1 key.
peter2108

Post by peter2108 »

Thanks (sarc). Help >> Formula >> Toolbars >> Tools Bar >> Catalog >> Edit Symbols