[Solved] Formula keywords in different languages

Discuss the formula editor
duboism

[Solved] Formula keywords in different languages

Post by duboism »

Hello,

I have a problem with math formula in multilingual setups.

For some reasons I use OpenOffice in French at home (my native language) and in English at work... I'm used to typeset documents with lot of formulas...

A few week a go I edited a document in French containing a pseudo-equation i.e. a formula with words and sentence rather than symbols. My sentence was "nombre de fois où le HMM..." (number of times where the HMM..."). The document language was set to "French". At home (in French) every thing was ok. But at work "le" is understood as the "less than or equal to" operator... which gives meaningless sentences... By the way this is absurd as math have "<=" for the "less than or equal to" operator.

I have tried to set the interface language to French without success... I also have troubles with Greek letter names which are different in English and in French.

In LaTeX there is something called \mbox to enter text in a math formula. I didn't find something equivalent under math (there is a "text mode" dialog but it's related to format).

Any idea to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu

P.S.: As non (English native speakers) we are used to use english keywords in something like an equation... So I guess it would be a good idea to always use english keywords...
Last edited by duboism on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 - Ubuntu 10.04
acknak

Re: Formula keywords in different languages

Post by acknak »

Any characters between double quotes are purely text in an OOo Math formula, and are not interpreted at all.

I'm not sure if any of the keywords in the formula language ("left", "right", "over", etc.) are localized, or whether only one form--English--is recognized.

Also, any text inside a formula object is not part of the document text; if you are mixing formulas with descriptive text, you most likely want to keep the formula parts as separate objects, even if the formula is just a variable name.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

Only Greek characters are localised. See this issue:
[Issue 17485]use of accentuated characters in the formula editor
As acknak said, using quotes should be enough to get a "text mode". Try this:

Code: Select all

"le" le li
newline
italic "le" le li
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
duboism

Post by duboism »

Thanks to both of you.

How did you find this? Is there a menu entry? I have searched for a long time and never find it. It would be a simple improvement for Math.

RGB: If I understand your remark le (without "") should be printed as <= even at home (pure French installation), right? I'll check that.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 - Ubuntu 10.04