[Solved] Union with from/to sub/upper limit

Discuss the formula editor
maryrevery

[Solved] Union with from/to sub/upper limit

Post by maryrevery »

i need an indexed intersection for a family of sets like here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indexed_fa ... n_families
basically an intersection sign under which i can write where to start from and above which i can write where the intersection should end.
i tried inserting the intersection character before "from {} to{}" in the formula object, like one would do with sum, but it won't work. any ideas?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply. Also split from original post (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
keme
Volunteer

Re: Union and intersection

Post by keme »

You can use the "oper" modifier like so:
oper U from a to b G
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
maryrevery

Re: Union and intersection

Post by maryrevery »

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! just what i needed.
any idea on how to convert from odt to doc or pdf without loosing all the complex formula objects that took me huge amounts of time to create? thanks again. i've tried every online converter and won't recognize all the special characters, "saving as" doesn't work either.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
keme
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Union with from/to sub/upper limit

Post by keme »

Note that if you use letters, they will follow default formatting for letters in Math (e.g. italics).

To have proper union/intersection symbols you need to define them in the symbol table. See Tools - Symbol ..., the Edit... button.

The symbol table editor is fairly intuitive in use, but it's easy to make an unmanageable mess of symbol sets, so go slow.
The key to using it is that you can type new names into the fields Symbol (to make a new named symbol in the selected symbol set) and/or Symbol set (to make a new named set ). When there's a new symbol name, the Add button will be available. If you type a new set name, you can move a symbol name into the new set.

You use the symbols by preceding the name with a percent sign, so if you create the "union" symbol, you type %union in the formula editor to have it displayed (or oper %union ... for the range operation).
Note that unlike operator names, symbol names are case sensitive, so you can have three distinct union symbols (perhaps using different fonts) named "union", "Union" and "UNION".
Note also that in the formula editor, operators and symbols with the same name can be a bit confusing to the human eye. However, named symbols are distinguished by the percent sign, so they will not interfere with the use of similarly named operators.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10