Numerator/denominator distance fro fraction bar

Discuss the formula editor

Numerator/denominator distance fro fraction bar

Postby DWFII » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:19 am

I like to use over-under fractions.

Math is quite capable of doing this but I cannot get the numerator and denominator to close up on the fraction bar. I have located the window where that distance can be set but it is already at zero for both numbers. And there is still quite a bit of space between the fraction bar and the numbers. More than I want, more than is necessary.

Is there a way in this version that this can be adjusted? I am guessing not but perhaps some of the fine folks who work on this could make some changes in the next version...ideally you ought to be able to tighten up a fraction almost to the point where the numbers are touching the fraction bar.

In passing, I will add why I think this is necessary...if you are composing text that has the line spacing fairly tight and need to insert a fraction, the fraction will take up so much room that the line spacing will open up or the next line of text will be on top of the denominator.
Open Office 3.3 on Win7 Pro x64
DWFII

Re: Numerator/denominator distance fro fraction bar

Postby acknak » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 pm

You can adjust that, and lots of other spacings, in OOo Math: Format > Spacing > Category: Fractions.

Unfortunately, the default spacing seems to be as tight as it will go: "0%".

You can always submit a request for enhancement; maybe it would be possible for Math to accept a negative value there. [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

Other than that, all I can suggest is using a slash: 2/3, or making your own fractions as graphic objects.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Math