[Solved] Wrong symbols in Math

Discuss the formula editor
patsherlock

[Solved] Wrong symbols in Math

Post by patsherlock »

I have just installed Open Office 3.2 (Linux 386 GB version) downloaded from the openoffice.org site.

Everything seems to be working perfectly, except Math. The wrong symbols seem to be being used for equal sign, square root function and so on. In some cases I am getting oriental ideograms.

Here is a screenshot to show the effect
Screenshot.png
I can't see anywhere to change the font used for such symbols. Can anyone spot what is wrong and tell me what I should do?

Thanks

Pat Sherlock (Bolton, UK)
Last edited by patsherlock on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 and OOo 3.3 on Linux (SLES, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu) and Windows XP
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: Wrong symbols in Math

Post by Robert Tucker »

Check you have the OpenSymbol font (opens___.ttf) installed and available to OpenOffice. If necessary copy it to the fonts folder in the (hidden) openoffice.org directory (in your HOME directory) if it exists. (It doesn't on Fedora but opens___.ttf is installed in /usr/share/fonts/opensymbol)
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
patsherlock

Re: Wrong symbols in Math [Solved]

Post by patsherlock »

Thanks for this!

I located opens___.ttf in /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/share/fonts/truetype/opens___.ttf
I created a .fonts directory in my home folder and copied the opens___.ttf file to it and then ran fc-cache in that directory. The next time I opened Open Office 'Open Symbol' was available as a font and the Formula Editor (Math) worked perfectly.

I am puzzled that Open Office did not find the font in /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/share/fonts/truetype. I notice that the directory contains also Liberation, Deja Vu and 'Gen' fonts. Perhaps I should run fc-cache (as root) in that directory? (However I already have Deja Vu available at system level.)

Thanks again.

Pat Sherlock (Bolton, UK)
LibreOffice 3.3.3 and OOo 3.3 on Linux (SLES, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu) and Windows XP
stef45

Re: [Solved] Wrong symbols in Math

Post by stef45 »

I had the same question. i have the OpenSymbol font installed and available. but it doesn't work anyways the symbols are still a problem. Can I do anything else?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: [Solved] Wrong symbols in Math

Post by acknak »

I've noticed on Fedora that the Fedora-packaged OOo installs a copy of OpenSymbol in the system fonts directory. That copy seems to take precedence over the copy in the OOo installation tree.

However, if I install my own copy in my ~/.fonts directory, that one takes precedence. So I'm not sure what's happening with your setup.

BTW, have you completely restarted OOo (including the quickstarter)? OOo will not adjust to any changes in available fonts until it's restarted.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23