A quick way to create formulas and how to make it obvious

Discuss the formula editor
Chuong

A quick way to create formulas and how to make it obvious

Post by Chuong »

Hi all,

I was looking for a way to quickly create equations without having to open formula editor. After some time I discovered this way. For example, I enter and select this string "%pi simeq 3.14159", then go to menu Insert->Object and click on "Formula", the selection is instantly replaced by an equation. I later customized my Standard toolbar to add Formula button in order to do this quickly.

This feature is not obvious to most users. Oo Help or the description of Formula gives no such information. I suggest that Formula button should be appear by default on Standard toolbar and the tip showing when mouse hovering over Formula button should say something like "Formula: insert formula or convert text to formula", instead of just "Formula" like now.
Thanks,
Chuong
Open Office 3.1 and Ubuntu 8.04
RGB

Re: A quick way to create formulas and how to make it obvious

Post by RGB »

The formula button is in the "insert" toolbar. You can also set a keyboard shortcut on Tools -> Customize -> Keyboard tab (mine is Ctrl+Shift+M).
I don't think many people use Math so for me it is not a good idea to have it in the main toolbar.
To ask for an enhancement, see here: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice