[Solved] How do I copy/paste formulas from Math to Writer?

Discuss the formula editor
betten

[Solved] How do I copy/paste formulas from Math to Writer?

Post by betten »

Hello!

I can't figure out how I copy/paste formulas and more from math to writer? Please help me.

Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Openoffice version 3.1
acknak

Re: How do I copy/paste formulas from math to writer?

Post by acknak »

The usual way of working with formulas that will be part of another document, e.g. a text document, is to start in the main document and create the formula as an object in that document, using Insert > Object > Formula. That will invoke OOo Math to create the formula, but the result will be a formula object embedded in the parent document.

If you start with OOo Math (File > New > Formula), all you can do is save the formula in a file, and then insert that file into an enclosing document: Insert > Object > OLE Object > Formula, Create from file.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
betten

Re: How do I copy/paste formulas from math to writer?

Post by betten »

Thank you so much! This really helped me a lot.
But I messed up again. While I was editing a formula, I accidentely hit the cross of the little menu that controlls the formulas. I can't find it. Do you know where I can find it?

Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks anyway though. :-)
Openoffice version 3.1
acknak

Re: How do I copy/paste formulas from Math to Writer?

Post by acknak »

While the OOo Math formula editor is active, use View > Selection.

Yes, the name "Selection" isn't very helpful. It is being changed in the next version to "View > Formula Elements". See Issue 33387: Math: view->selection
Glease

Re: [Solved] How do I copy/paste formulas from Math to Writer?

Post by Glease »

You can use the Formula Converter extension which converts your formula into a .png file and then you can copy/cut and resize that image into wherever you'd like for your flash cards.
You can get it here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... -converter
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
rekk1986

Post by rekk1986 »

betten wrote:Hello!

I can't figure out how I copy/paste formulas and more from math to writer? Please help me.

Thank you
My issues is the same to you, i tried to but it didn't work at all. I don't know why .
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
acknak

Post by acknak »

That's because it's not possible to copy/paste formulas from Math to Writer. The formula editor is designed to be invoked from within other documents. See my first message in this thread: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 34#p101634

If that's not working, please explain exactly what you tried, and exactly what happened.