Mac: Scientific fonts and formulas appear as wingdings

Discuss the formula editor
santon

Mac: Scientific fonts and formulas appear as wingdings

Post by santon »

Hi,

When I open text files that have been created using a PC, the scientific fonts and formulas appear corrupt with wingding style icons. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Is there a font download for scientific equations etc?

Also, is there an instruction guide for creating formulas using the 'Formula' application?

Thanks all
Open Office 3 on Mac
Hagar Delest

Re: Mac: Scientific fonts and formulas appear as wingding

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. Don't post in a topic that is not related to your question. As this is different from a loading time issue, I've split the post.

What kind of document? .odt, .doc?

Math has a toolbar to help writing formulas. You should browse the forum for additional links.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dave

Post by Dave »

Windows? Save yourself some bother, and download and use MathType.

Also, a "text "files usually refers to plain text. As Hagar points out, it would be useful if you could be more specific as to the type of document. However, I still suggest MathType for doing formulas [Let's face it, GUI is the more modern trend since Apple invented it so long ago now. Who types DOS command lines any more?], and also still recommend using OpenOffice originally, not merely as a translator for other document types.

David.
olmen

Post by olmen »

Hello

I also have this problem On a Mac and OO3.1. I have a .ppt file which I believe is made in PowerPoint (not made by myself btw). When I open it in Impress, all the formula fonts are rendered incorrectly. It looks like i'm missing a font and that Impress defaults to something else. However, when I doubleclick the formulas, they open in a new window and here they are rendered correctly! When the document is printed most parts of the formula is rendered correctly but not all.

This only appears in .ppt documents opened in Impress. Making own formulas work great, but that doesn't help me much right now :-P

Could please some one tell me what's going on? I really, really need the formulas to render correctly. I hate using PowerPoint :-(

Regards,
Olle Mattsson
Open Office 3.1 on OSX 10.5
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I remember a similar issue, perhaps it's the same: [Solved] Bullet Point Characters Incorrect.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
olmen

Post by olmen »

Thanks a bunch!

The thread lead me to this, which seems to have solved the problem
I've had success using the Font Replacement Table, located in the Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org ->Fonts
Enable "Apply replacement table", select "Symbol" in the lefthand FONT drop down, select "OpenSymbol" in the righthand "Replace with" dropdown. Press the checkmark to the right to add the substitution to the table. Make sure you check the Always box.

Once this is set up, opening and saving in MSWord 97/XP format preserves the bullet characters in both directions.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Open Office 3.1 on OSX 10.5