Automatically change keyboard layout

Discuss the formula editor
edio

Automatically change keyboard layout

Post by edio »

Once more sorry for my English :oops:

I am wrirting this with the hope, that someone from OOo developers read this topic someday.

I have three keyboard layouts on my systems: English, Ukrainian, Russian. And it is too annoying to switch layout from, f.ex., Ukrainian to English every time, I want to insert some formula. I think it would be much more comfortable if OOo could change keyboard layout to English if cursor is in math input field, and change it back, when cursor leaves math.

Hope, my English is understandable :oops:
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Archlinux
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: [SUGGESTION] automatically change keyboard layout

Post by TheGurkha »

Don't apologise for your English, we all have deep respect for anyone who coomunicates on technical issues in a langauge that is not their mother tongue.

We're not the developers, just users trying to help other users. The developers don't hang out here.

To make suggestion or report a bug, see this thread: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

Not too sure it's very feasible. The character you input is sent to OpenOffice from the operating system. If your operating system is telling OpenOffice to input "д" it's going to be quite a lot of work to have conversion tables to tell it to replace it with "l" when you are using Math with a Russian or Ukrainian keyboard, "д" occurring on a Russian keyboard where the "l" occurs on a QWERTY keyboard, I believe.

Can you not change keyboard with just a simple key combination?
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
edio

Post by edio »

TheGurkha
Thanks for this link. I didn't see that thread.

Robert Tucker
Yes, it is not too hard to change keyboard. But it is just annoying, when creating a document with lots of formulas.

And of course it is very hard for OOo to translate typed symbols on the fly.
I meant, that OOo may tell the system to change input layout for whole OOo window, when math field is focused (I know, it is possible). And I believe, it is not too hard to remeber layout that was active before math field becomes focused and set it back, when math field loses focus...
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Archlinux