Arbitarily adjusting location of elements ? (reduce spacing)

Discuss the formula editor
ToresVN

Arbitarily adjusting location of elements ? (reduce spacing)

Post by ToresVN »

OOo Math generates large space between certain combinations, such as spacing between italic characters and nitalic ones is especially large. In the following screenshot, the left is Math object and the right is writer string. In comparison, style of string in writer looks more natural.
OOo Math code:

Code: Select all

4πε_0 r
Solution for this task via adjusting the spacing is not the option since the spacing desired to reduce is specific but not generic. Not all spacing should be affected.

Microsoft Word Equation Editor 3.0 provides a function to 'move' any element as you wish, and this gives huge flexibility. Simply press down the ctrl key with ← ↑ → ↓ keys to 'move' selected elements. For example, a normal 1/2 and an extremely twisted 1/2 is given,
Image.
The second example is simply a demonstration showing the powerful adjusting ability of MS Word Equation Editor 3.0.

Sometimes you may find OOo Math always forces the elements separated.
In this (3rd) example, subscript in integral sign expands the formula in OOo Math while the expansion is optional but not necessary in MS Word.
OOo Math code:

int_nitalic surface 4%pi r dr
The 4th example is similar to the 3rd one, the underbrace,
Again, in MS Word you can shorten the length of formula to save space or certain purpose.
OOo Math code:

{4πε_0 r_1}underbrace nitalic{field generation due %to surface charge} = nabla J
Is there any similar function provided in OOo Math? Or how do I make an approach?
OOo 3.2.1 on Ms Windows XP
RGB

Re: Arbitarily adjusting location of elements ? (reduce spacing)

Post by RGB »

Math have a lot of problems with spacing and kerning. See for example this issue:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=23131
If you are happy with MathType (the MS equation editor is a "cut down" version of it) I think you can still use it in Writer, but I cannot help you with that.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Dave

Re: Arbitarily adjusting location of elements ? (reduce spacing)

Post by Dave »

You keep mentioning MS Word? The editor is really an embedded "lite" version of MathType. If you download the full version of the MathType program, it will run as a stand-alone program, and you can copy/paste form there to Writer. I do that constantly, as the MathType program does not quit after 30 days,but reverts to the free "lite" version that is the same as that used in both Word and WordPerfect.

Fine woodworking was my hobby [one of them]. I didn't complain about one hammer not doing everything, but had a selection of hammers, each dedicated to a specific task ...and I did build some pretty nice furniture! I would have avoided a multi-tool that claimed to be both a hammer and a thickness planer.

David.