[Solved] Make scalable underbraces under a matrix

Discuss the formula editor
JOSEPHMALONE

[Solved] Make scalable underbraces under a matrix

Post by JOSEPHMALONE »

I am writing a formula for linear algebra. I want to label vector matrices with the words "shear and "rotation" using under-braces. when I use under-braces they display overlapping the numbers of my vectors. How do I get them to be under the matrix instead of garbled?

The code I used is:

left [matrix{color red 1# color red 1## color red 0#color red 1}right] underbrace { color red shear}

left(left[matrix{color blue 0# color blue -1##color blue 1#color blue 0}right]right) underbrace {color blue rotation}

left [ matrix { x ## y} right] =
left [ matrix { 1 # -1 ## 1 # 0 } right]
left [ matrix { x ## y } right]

I attached a pic of code used and image output to my screen.
Attachments
this is a screenshot of my problem
this is a screenshot of my problem
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] for two solutions: LibreOffice and MS Paint; 3rd solution (OpenSymbol) was not tried; 4th solution (Linux) was not tried
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: How do I make scalable underbraces under a matrix?

Post by Zizi64 »

Your code works for me in my LibreOffice 6.2.8:
Underbraces.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

JOSEPHMALONE wrote:When I use under-braces they display overlapping the numbers of my vectors. How do I get them to be under the matrix instead of garbled?
Your formula also displays correctly with OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Mac OS.
ShearRotation.png
Review keme's solution in [Solved] Underbrace is wrong position.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
JOSEPHMALONE

Post by JOSEPHMALONE »

I'm using windows 10. I tried installing a linux but it did not work for me. Maybe I should try installing linux again? I can get the matrix to work on libreoffice but that begs the question: if libreoffice can find opensymbol why can't openoffice? Thus it seems that openoffice it not a true substitute for microsoft word. Libreoffice makes some things easier but other things harder or impossible. Instead of being a fix is substitutes one problem for another. Things that don't work "magically" do but things that did work suddenly don't often with worse compensation.

The fix recommended was install opensymbol. I doubt that is the problem but if so the concern is that it will break printer functionality. That is not good for me. I have written long works 100 pages or more that have printed out so I am not willing to go paperless. I would not be able to have a hard copy of my document. That is unacceptable.

My options seem to be:

1) Use ms paint and draw the matrix.
2) Switch to Linux.
3) Design a OS with builtin support for math and science technical writing.

I did not know how long it would take for a reply so after my initial post I made a paint image and drew my matrix. It was the simplest solution and is faster and safer then other options. I try to keep it simple. I attached what my paint image looks like compared to the original.

For now I will use option 1 with plans for option 3 later. Thank you all.
Attachments
vector oop.png
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

My options seem to be:

1) Use ms paint and draw the matrix.
2) Switch to Linux.
3) Design a OS with builtin support for math and science technical writing.
4) Staying on Windows 10 but to install the LibreOffice.

Libreoffice makes some things easier but other things harder or impossible.
What things are harder / impossible with LO in your opinion?

I doubt that is the problem but if so the concern is that it will break printer functionality.
Why you think it?
I am using the LibreOffice, opensymbol font and the printing functionality on Windows 10 without any problem.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
JOSEPHMALONE

Post by JOSEPHMALONE »

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention that I tried libreoffice after you said it worked on it. I already have Libreoffice installed. My matrix does display correctly on there but I seem to be more productive on openoffice.

I have not used Libreoffice in quite awhile. I remember trying it because I had some alignment issue on openoffice. I was happy that it fixed my initial problem but quickly realized that I could not switch over to it fully. I do not remember the issue but it made things take longer or seem harder. Since this was over a year or two ago I can't remember exactly. Libreoffice seems more geared towards easy use and graphics/looks while openoffice seems more focused on productivity/business at the expense of drab aesthetics and overall feel. Sorry I can not be more informative.

In reference to the solution posted by Keme a user stated that he had printer and/or pdf export problems. He could not print as his printer would stop. he could not export as a pdf because it would have trouble. Sounds like a driver issue.

I thank you all for your kind words. Delightfully I am able to complete my task using microsoft paint. It's just easier and has more option of font choice, color, and alignment is fully controllable.