Line notation for Geometry course

Discuss the formula editor
anjutama

Line notation for Geometry course

Post by anjutama »

Hello, I am a math teacher and I need to write proofs with line names, which is AB with a two-sided arrow on top. I can't find a way to do it. There are instructions how to write AB with an arrow on top, but that it a vector or a ray, but not a line. Thank you!
OpenOffice 3.4 on windows 8
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Line notation for Geometry course

Post by John_Ha »

Format > Character > Font effects adds a line.
Clipboard03.gif
Look at the Math package of AOO or LO. File > New > Formula.

Windows allows you to write mathematical formulae with Start > Accessories > Math Input Panel.
Clipboard05.gif
Google for maths fonts. Latex is excellent for math formulae. There are on-line sites for math formulae like Online Mathematics Formula Editor

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(Off topic)

I'm also a math teacher (Germany), now retired for more than a decade, but I cannot remember to often have read mathematical texts containing the notation for straight (unlimited) lines you described. Starting with texts (transcribed) from ancient Greece lines defined by two points were denoted by simply putting the two one-letter-point-names side by side. As an example "AB x BC = B if A, B, C not are collinear" should tell the obvious. (When I wrote a paper where I wanted to denote the operation of joining two given points A and B by a straight line g explicitly I used "A..B = g".)

Where and since when is the notation described in the question common or even mandatory?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
anjutama

Post by anjutama »

@Lupp Different notations are used in Europe and America. In the USA, the line is denoted by a double-sided arrow above, and a line segment by a line above. Since I write this for school aged kids, I need to keep the notations as they are used in the textbooks here.
OpenOffice 3.4 on windows 8
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:Latex is excellent for math formulae.
... and the add-on amsmath supports double-headed arrows. See Typesetting arrows above a pair of letters to indicate a line
Clipboard01.gif
The brute force and ignorance AOO method is to use the Draw component of Writer to add the arrows or create an image of arrows and add it above the letters.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.