Newbie exCoreldraw user questions

Discuss the drawing application
Paul F

Newbie exCoreldraw user questions

Post by Paul F »

I have been a CorelDraw user for some time but have now decided to look at OpenOffice Draw.
My main purpose for using a drawing program such as Corel or Draw is to draw up dimensions of my home and property...I'm having difficulties with locating basic drawing functions in Draw, assuming they even exist....for example;
In Corel users wishing to insert a rectangle or a line can enter the exact dimensions of these objects in a prominent box, I am unable to find anywhere in Draw to do this other than an obscure box at the bottom of the screen for rectangles anyway.
I am also unable to locate where I set defaults, for instance, I'd like my rectangles and other shapes to have no fill.
I am also unable to find a setting for default size and scale setting....my property is around 19m x 26m, I'd like to scale this to fit to an A4 page in portrait view and for all components within the boundaries to be automatically scaled to fit.

Any help is appreciated.
Paul
Australia.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Newbie exCoreldraw user questions

Post by Zizi64 »

In Corel users wishing to insert a rectangle or a line can enter the exact dimensions of these objects in a prominent box, I am unable to find anywhere in Draw to do this other than an obscure box at the bottom of the screen for rectangles anyway.
Right click on the shape (or Select a shape - Format - ...) Position and size. You can set the position and size parameters by entering numeric values.
My LibreOffice 6.1.6 can show this panel by a simple click on the size values on the statusbar (bottom of the scerrn. It works in the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 too, but it needs a double click.)

I am also unable to locate where I set defaults, for instance, I'd like my rectangles and other shapes to have no fill.
Use the Shape Styles to format your shapes. Create some styles with the preferred formatting properties, and apply them to your shapes.
The Styles are the most valuable feature of the AOO and LO.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am also unable to find a setting for default size and scale setting....
You can set the scale value in the menu item:
Tools - Options - Open/LibreOffice Draw - General - Scale - Drawing scale.
Draw scale value.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Draw may work for simple floor and garden plan sketches, but there are issues. Things like wall drawing and handling wall thickness, shaping object corners and bevels, and object size and placement, are much easier to work with in a proper CAD application.
Draw has, obviously, better integration with the other Office apps than a third party software. This may be significant for things like linked objects and adjusting text wrap around graphics. Usually you can export from CAD software to a format which office apps can handle.

If you want proper drawing functions, search for 2D CAD. You could look into LibreCAD. 3D modeling CAD software also provides 2D drawing capability, but the learning threshold is usually steeper. You are the one to decide which one to pick.

One big advantage if you choose to ignore my advice and stick with Draw: you have an active and welcoming support community. ;)
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

Paul F wrote:I am also unable to locate where I set defaults, for instance, I'd like my rectangles and other shapes to have no fill.
Additionally to Zizi64 I can recommend to use the gallery. Copy some customized shapes into it and only drag into your page, if needed. In my view this will grant you more choices for daily use.

And - see other answers - be aware that Draw is an app with only simple features. For beginners a big advantage, also if simple results are desired. If this is satisfactory for you - have a new start! Cheers.
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Paul F wrote:I have been a CorelDraw user for some time but have now decided to look at OpenOffice Draw.
Reading the manual will help you decide if Draw is the right tool for your task. This is for an earlier version, but there are no significant changes to Draw since then.
Draw Guide → Full Book

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I haven't used Windows in over ten years, but were I using it and currently involved with graphics, I would undoubtedly continue with CorelDraw, which offered a very wide range of facilities. PhotoShop may be better (not explored), but my first intro to heavy computer graphics was CorelDraw (in versions from CD2 - CD9) and I never moved away from that until I retired and left the graphics world behind.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Thank you all for your comprehensive responses.....I will explore all. I agree that CorelDraw is perhaps one of the better CAD programs, my problem is that, since retiring, I need to pay for software out of my own pocket!.... :(

Thanks again,
Paul
Open Office version 4.1.6, Win10
skuddle

Post by skuddle »

I agree with Paul F., CorelDraw is pretty good. I used it since it first came out in what - 1989?

Unfortunately, I can't get version 12 to run properly on a Windows 10 machine. I can install it without problems and I can load a drawing, but the program just disappears shortly after I begin making changes to the CDR. Don't know what's wrong...
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1
* LibreOffice 7.2.4.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We cannot advise on why CD12 does not run on Windows 10; that is a problem that might be better handled on a Win10 or CD forum. The only suggestion I can make is that you investigate Reactos, a clean-room Windows equivalent; perhaps CD will run on it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS