Export 'draw'-layers to pdf-layers

Discuss the drawing application
user-name

Export 'draw'-layers to pdf-layers

Post by user-name »

Hi there,
with MS visio it's possible to export its layers as pdf-layers - so the recipient can choose which (of the overwhelming) information its possible to hide or show.
while exporting to pdf from OO draw I cannot see any hint regarding its layers and how to export them as pdf-layers.
In the manual nothing is listed about that.

any hint is very welcomed.

Thank you
Peter
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.13.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: export 'draw'-layers to pdf-layers

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

See Splitting drawings on multiple layers in the Draw manual which describes how to make a layer visible or invisible. You can therefore decide which layers to export to a PDF as a "combined into one layer" PDF, but you cannot export them as "separate layers to be inserted in the PDF as separate layers in the PDF".

You could export each layer as a graphics image (or even PDF) and then use some other application to create a "PDF with layers". For example see PDF Editor Pro which handles layers in PDF files.

You will find much useful information in the User Guides, the Writer, Base and Calc Tutorials and the AOO Frequently Asked Questions. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
user-name

Re: Export 'draw'-layers to pdf-layers

Post by user-name »

Hi John,
thanks for welcome and for the facts,

I already have inserted a few layers according to the manual and wanted them quickly export- I've to find another way...

The first I'll try is to open the OO file with visio and see what's possible there before to buy another PDF Editor Pro.
I'll let you know what turns out there before changing this to 'solved'.

have a good day,
Peter
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.13.6
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Why you need layers in a pdf export file? Do you want to modify the pdf file?

Just a tip:
The LibreOffice can save into hybrid PDF format. A hybrid PDF contains the ODF and the PDF versions of your document. You can open, read, print it as you the PDF files can (in a Pdf Reader), and you can edit it as you the ODF files can (in the LibreOffice).

I do not know if the PDF version of the document is layered or flat only in the hibryd PDF.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The pro version of PDF studio allows you to create layers in a PDF. Not free, but permanent license is cheaper that one year subscription for Adobe Acrobat DC. Free trial, so you can check that it actually does what you need.

Pretty simple procedure: Export each layer as a separate PDF from Draw (i.e. select all other layers as "not printable" ; making them invisible does not remove from PDF export I think). Create an empty file in PDF Studio, and import each of your exported files as a new layer.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Zizi64 wrote:I do not know if the PDF version of the document is layered or flat only in the hibryd PDF.
It's a standard PDF without layers.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

As free solution Scribus 1.5.4 supports PDF-Layers.
You can open an .odg directly in Scribus and export to PDF with all Layers intact.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

musikai wrote:As free solution Scribus 1.5.4 supports PDF-Layers.
You can open an .odg directly in Scribus and export to PDF with all Layers intact.
Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that. Perhaps too obvious :oops:

Good tip. Thanks!
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

By the way:

See also https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=124349 .
(I only talked of readers because I couldn't test with a full-power editor.)

See also http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Fe ... ibreOffice

(See also https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... i?id=53864 )
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München