Displayed precision in dimensioning

Discuss the drawing application

Displayed precision in dimensioning

Postby seacrow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Try as I might, I cannot find an adjustment in Draw for the displayed precision when adding or updating dimension lines or manually entered dimensions of any object. Helpfiles and indeed this forum are mute on the subject of displayed precision in Draw.

I can manually specify 13.375" for, say, the width of the dimension line, but it is immediately rounded off to 2 decimals to 13.38 in the form field. Excuse me? :? This value is exact in both decimal and binary (214/16) so what's the problem is displaying it to 3 decimal places, or 20 places if I wish it?
seacrow

Re: Displayed precision in dimensioning

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Right-click on the dimension line, and select "Dimensions." You can set the number of decimal places in the dimensions dialogue.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby acknak » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala's suggestion is correct, but don't be surprised if it's not what you want. It does not set a fixed number of decimal places, only a maximum number.

You should also be aware that Draw is severely flawed when you work with non-metric units, especially at large drawing scales (1:50 or more).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby seacrow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Look at what I'm trying to express. Top is what I just entered, bottom is what happens when I move context away from Width entry field.

b&a.png

The decimals on the dimensioning can be indeed altered, but the ENTRY of the value is mangled, so what's the point?

Also, it is customary to be able to specify trailing decimals in formatting even if they be all 0s.

BTW I'm working with "only" 1:4 scaling on the drawing. Is this neglect of non-SI measures some kind of Eurometric snobbery? And who ever ruled that two decimals precision is enough for everybody? Anybody ever hear of BCD maths?

Workaround? Or is this a "feature"?
seacrow

Postby acknak » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:06 am

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the labels shown on drafting-style dimension lines.

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide? There's no one here that can do anything about your complaints; we're just users like yourself.

There are two problems (at least). One is that OOo's dimension entry widgets are always limited to two decimal places--period. Whatever you enter is rounded to two places, and entered into the file based on the rounded number. You can enter more precise values if you switch to a metric measurement unit: 0.01 inch >> 0.01 mm.

Second, OOo's internal dimensions are based on metric units, with a maximum precision of 0.01 mm (the two-decimal place limit again). You can convert between metric units without loss of precision, but converting with any other units will incurr rounding errors.

When the drawing scale is large, other errors come in, and the results can be quite obvious.

These are all well-known problems. E.g., see
Issue 45593: Measurement unit: Inch - Needs more decimal places
Issue 52990: a dimension line of 200" will display as 199.9"
Issue 89872: dimension lines may show large errors for foot unit
Issue 26783: Dimension/Grid is off when using inches, but not cm.
Issue 42118: Provision for dimensions in microns (0.001mm)

All at once

You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby seacrow » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:34 pm

acknak wrote:...There's no one here that can do anything about your complaints; we're just users like yourself.

Fair enough, but one hopes nevertheless that whoever's actually "contributing" code to Open Office is monitoring the heavy flow of complaints I see in these forums, and cares half a s*** to make changes.

acknak wrote:OOo's dimension entry widgets are always limited to two decimal places--period. Whatever you enter is rounded to two places, and entered into the file based on the rounded number. You can enter more precise values if you switch to a metric measurement unit: 0.01 inch >> 0.01 mm. ... OOo's internal dimensions are based on metric units, with a maximum precision of 0.01 mm (the two-decimal place limit again). You can convert between metric units without loss of precision, but converting with any other units will incurr [sic] rounding errors.

Whatever. This has got to be the stupidest if not fatal flaw in the entire Draw bailiwick. First, my suspicion is confirmed that there's a Eurochauvinist/globalist tilt towards units, letting non-metric users twist in the wind vis-à-vis inch etc. support. Second is the insulting implication that all Open Office users are moronic mouth breathers who cannot think-- indeed, shall not be permitted to think -- beyond two decimals. Sort of dumbing-down software fascism.

Screw your widgets, and screw Draw -- I'm gonna get me some real drawing $oftware and stop putzing around with Open Orifice.

No Flames Please Bhikkhu Pesala (moderator)
seacrow

Return to Draw