Transparency on group text

Discuss the drawing application
JUSTPLAINCRAIG

Transparency on group text

Post by JUSTPLAINCRAIG »

I'm trying to make a logo and I need it to be transparent. Everything I tried does not work. Saving it as a Jpeg, PNG and other files.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Transparency on group text

Post by Zizi64 »

Plase upload your ODF type sample file/s/ here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The jpeg format does not support transparency. Use PNG or SVG.

Select your logo (all parts of it) and in the export dialog tick "selection only" before saving. Otherwise the sheet (paper) object is saved with your logo, and the paper is not transparent.
JUSTPLAINCRAIG

Post by JUSTPLAINCRAIG »

This is what I have. I know I have to get rid of the noodles. But I really need everything else.
Attachments
julians new logo.jpg
julians new logo.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Use a third party software (like the free InfanView) to convert your picture into .png (or .gif) format. You can set (select) the transparent color at saving procedure by a clicking on the homogeneous background.

A .jpg type source file will give you a blurry result (because the .jpg uses lossy packaging methods). The background seems homogeneous, but maybe it contains much tones of the white/light grays. In this cases you can try to reduce the color depth of the picture before you convert it into .png, or .gif format.

Try to get the original (vectorgraphic, or .png, or .gif) version of the logo first, and try it insert directly - or convert it into .png format with a thansparent background color.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Converted samples with various color depth:
julians new logo_original color depth.png
julians new logo_original color depth.png (49.48 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
julians new logo_8_colors.png
julians new logo_8_colors.png (19.84 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
julians new logo_4_colors.png
julians new logo_4_colors.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
JUSTPLAINCRAIG

Post by JUSTPLAINCRAIG »

You loss me after "Use a third party"....lol. I think I see what you mean. I will try it. But the 4 color has a certain character that I kind of like. Goes with the homemade feel of the product. I'll give Infanview a shot.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Is that jpeg image the best version you have? Even with "industry standard" software I'd expect that some manual work is required for this one. Photoshop does a pretty good job of contour detection from anti-aliased images, but I suspect that even PS will struggle with overlapping anti-aliasing, like what you have on the inside of the outlined letters (the word "FLAVORED") and the spacing between them.
Photoshop may have the ability to convert anti-aliasing to graded transparency, but that software is not cheap and it takes some learning to use the advanced features.

Draw is a vector drawing tool mainly targeted at formal presentations and diagrams. It has limited functionality for more artful designs, and only rudimentary tools for editing pixel map objects (jpeg and other image files).

If you are OK with the rough appearance you get from reducing color depth and substituting transparent for the white(ish) areas, IrfanView may be all you need (and you may even get there with Draw's "color replacer"). As you commented, such an appearance of the logo may emphasize the overall look/image for your business when used in a consistent manner.

If you look for a better conversion to transparent background, my best advice is to step back a little. What is the source for your logo? Who designed it? Where is it printed?
  • Did you scan it from a paper original? Try to use a larger original if you have one, and scan at higher resolution.
  • Do you have an original file in a format which does not use lossy compression? (png, tif, or even bmp)
  • Is a higher resolution file available? (Locate the designer if you did not create it yourself.)
  • Do you by any chance have an original with vector graphics? (svg, ps, possibly pdf ; I'd guess that a professional logo designer would have kept a vector based backup for a few years at least.)