[Solved] How to open a odt document with Draw

Discuss the drawing application
zulu

[Solved] How to open a odt document with Draw

Post by zulu »

Hello I'm new to Open Office. I want to open an odt document with draw so that I can save it as a jpeg. But I dont know hop to open it with draw,.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
open officee 4.1.5 windows 7
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: How to open a odt document with Draw

Post by Lupp »

Welcome!
zulu wrote:...odt document... But I dont know how to open it with draw.
I'm afraid you can't. Draw cannot accept text that is not the text of a shape. You can export the text document (or a selection of pages) to a Pdf, and open the Pdf with Draw, by what every line is converted to a shape containing the line's text.
zulu wrote:I want to open an odt document with draw so that I can save it as a jpeg. ...
The mentioned Pdf you can also convert to Jpeg by exporting it a second time from Draw. There are probably programs doing that better.

(With recent LibreOffice you can export the current page of a text document to Jpeg directly.)

WHY Jpeg?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
zulu

Post by zulu »

Hallo. danke! Ich brauch die Dokumente als jpeg weil ich als Online Tutor arbeite. Das Programm erlaubt nur das Hochladen von jpegs, keine anderen Dokumente.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please continue in English as it is the language of this forum (there is a German forum if you prefer).

I think that the best quality will be achieved by exporting in PDF first and then with PDFCreator for example export that PDF to jpg.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

... weil ich als Online Tutor arbeite. Das Programm erlaubt nur das Hochladen von jpegs, ...
{...because the software I need to use as an online tutor does not allow the upload of files of any type but Jpeg...}
You're kidding, aren't you?

Since AOO seems to not provide a "writer_jpg_Export" filter:

Well, if it's unavoidable to export a page as a jpeg image every few minutes, the only practicable way may be to shift to LibreOffice.
(Du kannst das auch mit ein bisschen Basic automatisieren. Ein aufgezeichneter Makro reicht da schon.
It can be automated with a recorded "macro".)

(Please edit your original post and prefix [SOLVED] to the subject if the answer is sufficient for you.)

Alles Gute aus München!
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Zamzar does offer the option to convert from .odt to .jpeg/.jpg
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You can export the document into pdf format, and then you can open the PDF in the Draw application, and finally you can export the pages from the Draw into image format...

Or use a third party virtual PDF printer software, as Hagar suggested it...

Or use LibreOffice. The Writer of the LO has a limited JPG export functionality (as Lupp suggested it).
And see this:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=77719
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
zulu

Re: [Solved] How to open a odt document with Draw

Post by zulu »

Thank you all guys!
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] How to open a odt document with Draw

Post by Lupp »

Since I claimed there was a simple macro for the task, I wanted to also demonstrate this.
I appended a rather Q&D macro to a demo I had recently made for a completely different purpose.

You may judge yourself if it's usable. Some enhancements should be useful.
Once again: Please note that the used export filter ""writer_jpg_Export"" does not come with AOO. You need to use a recent LibO to try te demo.

(The other functionality contained in the demo is concerning the conversion of a selected attributed text to html with inline tags. This also works in AOO. That's what produced the name of the demo.)
Attachments
attributedText2InlineHtml.odt
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
---
Lupp from München