[Solved] Drawing Rings

Discuss the drawing application
danishofmiguel

[Solved] Drawing Rings

Post by danishofmiguel »

As dumb of a question as this sounds, I've scoured the internet for how to do this. I understand how to use the elliptical tool to draw a circle/oval but that only makes a solid circle/oval. What I need to be able to do is draw a circle and then a larger circle around the first circle with only the area between the 2 circles being filled. The center of the circle needs to be clear/empty. I'm actually trying to do this with a pentagon. I've searched everywhere for how to do this. If I wanted to draw the letter, "A" I would have the same problem. I can connect all the lines but the triangle at the top of the letter needs to be empty.

Thank you in advance to the saint who teaches me how to do this!
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick [robleyd, Moderator]
OpenOffice 4 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Drawing Rings

Post by FJCC »

There may be a better way to do this. I never use Draw but figured a method out from the User's Guide. The steps are described in the attached file. The Alignment tool mentioned in the document looks like this:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (8.5 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Attachments
HollowPentagon.odg
(13.6 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
danishofmiguel

Re: Drawing Rings

Post by danishofmiguel »

You sir, are a saint among saint! I swear I scoured the manual but I must've missed this part. Thank you so much!!!!!!
OpenOffice 4 Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Drawing Rings (Solved)

Post by Zizi64 »

There is an another way:

Draw only one filled shape. Set the Line width to so wide (to the desired size), then colorize the line, finally set the Area (the bacground color) to "none".

Note: the corners of the rectangles and other angular type shapes will be rounded when you use this method.

You can use a user defined Shape Style - if you vant adjust more tan one shapes with same properties.
Circle.odg
(13.98 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Simplifying FJCC's method we get

1 Draw all the items
2 Drag the mouse to select all the items
3 Modify > Alignment > Centre
4 Modify > Alignment > Centred.

I prefer using the menus like this, instead of the icons, as I don't have to remember which icon does what, and it reminds me of all the other options each time I do it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

...And there are "Donut" like and "Frame" like shapes in the Basic shapes group:
Frame_and_Donut.odg
(11.41 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Zizi64 wrote:...And there are "Donut" like ...
That reminds me of the (very) old joke.

Teacher to little boy: Can you read these two sentences.

Little boy: There is a warm doughnut. Step on it.

Teacher: No! There is a worm. Do not step on it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.