[Solved] Curved text above and below a round photo

Discuss the drawing application
pjstock

[Solved] Curved text above and below a round photo

Post by pjstock »

I am close but can't figure this out.

I am trying to add simple curved labels above and below a circular image.

I am trying to use Fontwork and found one Style that works well enough for the Above curved label.
But I can't seem to make a matching one below.

I would just copy and adjust the same style to curve UP but it's all reversed and upside down. I can't make it just read "normally".

Or, I would choose a different style that is already curved the way I want it, and adjust the format to match the one above.
But, choosing what I think are the same format parameters "Liberation Serif, 16" for example, it still has a completely different look. as if there was some Italics function applied.

can anyone help? is what I am trying to do and what I have tried clear?

Peter
Attachments
lower text format.resized.png
upper text format.resized.png
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
MrProgrammer

Re: Curved text above and below a round photo

Post by MrProgrammer »

pjstock wrote:I am trying to use Fontwork and found one Style that works well enough for the Above curved label. But I can't seem to make a matching one below. I would just copy and adjust the same style to curve UP but it's all reversed and upside down. I can't make it just read "normally".
I suspect you're trying to change the object by dragging the control handle horizontally. Instead, select a different Fontwork Shape. For my version of OpenOffice, that's the second icon in Fontwork toolbar.
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 14.44.27 .png
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 14.44.27 .png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
pjstock

Re: Curved text above and below a round photo

Post by pjstock »

Very nice. I found those FW extra tool bar choices.
Thank you.

my other question is why, when a Fontwork object is selected, does the Character Size setting (12 or 15 or 18 etc.) does it not seem to adjust the size of the characters displayed in my FW object? (though it does adjust the size of the underlying text characters, say when I F2 to edit them.)
Attachments
font size image.resized.png
font size image.resized.png (47.88 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] Curved text above and below a round photo

Post by MrProgrammer »

pjstock wrote:why, when a Fontwork object is selected, does the Character Size setting (12 or 15 or 18 etc.) does it not seem to adjust the size of the characters displayed in my FW object?
The FW character size is controlled by the size you make the FW object (Format → Position and Size OR using the mouse to drag the object's boundary handles). The color of the FW object (thus the text color) is set by Format → Area. Other aspects of the text's characteristics are adjusted with the control handle (yellow diamond) or by the FW toolbar. It's best to regard this as a graphical object, not text.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).