[Solved] Can OpenOffice Draw edit PDF files? [not really]

Discuss the drawing application
demo

[Solved] Can OpenOffice Draw edit PDF files? [not really]

Post by demo »

Hi All,

I started some hours ago with trying to use OpenOffice to edit a PDF file and ran into platform issues with OpenOffice's use of Java's JRE. You can, if you care, read up on that here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93166&p=442967#p442967

Now that I have Open Office on the youngest version and fully operational, whenever I try to open a PDF, it launches OpenOffice Calc instead?! Confused, I did an online search and found here that it's in the top five PDF-capable utilities. Here is a web page that says so:

https://pdf.wondershare.com/pdf-knowled ... ditor.html

So, now I'm even MORE confused, since when I open Draw and ask it to open my file, it launches Calc, too?!

Any ideas?
Last edited by demo on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 (AKA NT 6.1) 64 bit
3 versions of Java installed, including 32 bit 1.6.0_12 (AKA version 6)
FJCC

Re: Can OpenOffice Draw edit PDF files?

Post by FJCC »

I am awestruck that someone would claim OpenOffice is a good PDF editor. Its default configuration does not support reading or editing PDF. There is an extension available that allows making simple edits of PDF files, like changing a date or a name. If you need to edit PDF routinely or extensively, use another tool. I don't know how capable LibreOffice is on PDFs, but don't believe anything on that web page you linked.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
demo

Re: Can OpenOffice Draw edit PDF files?

Post by demo »

FJCC wrote:I am awestruck that someone would claim OpenOffice is a good PDF editor. Its default configuration does not support reading or editing PDF. There is an extension available that allows making simple edits of PDF files, like changing a date or a name. If you need to edit PDF routinely or extensively, use another tool. I don't know how capable LibreOffice is on PDFs, but don't believe anything on that web page you linked.
Thanks, JFCC, I've now downloaded and installed LibreOffice and while it wants to do "save as" to other file types, it has an "export to PDF" option. So, since it's already installed and will likely work fine on my simple edits, I'm closing this one as:

SOLVED: Installed LibreOffice instead!
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10 (AKA NT 6.1) 64 bit
3 versions of Java installed, including 32 bit 1.6.0_12 (AKA version 6)
FJCC

Re: [SOLVED] Can OpenOffice Draw edit PDF files? [not really

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice also has an Export To PDF function. That is different than editing a PDF.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can OpenOffice Draw edit PDF files? [not really

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.