[Solved] How to label different areas of an image

Discuss the drawing application
MsKelly65

[Solved] How to label different areas of an image

Post by MsKelly65 »

I have a .png file of a floor plan for a large house with many rooms. I want to be able to label each room over the top of the image. I'm not even sure whether to do this in Writer or Draw or Impress or what. Can someone give me some guidance? I've spent two hours on this this morning and gotten nowhere. Thank you!
Last edited by MsKelly65 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsKelly65, Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: How to label different areas of an image

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not a Draw user, but why not /Insert /Layer and place your labels on that layer?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MsKelly65

Post by MsKelly65 »

I've never worked with layers, just know about them from some computer class daughter had to take in high school. There's no getting help from her, though. I'll see if I can figure it out that way. Thank you for your response! :)
MsKelly65, Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A layer is like a sheet of tracing paper or clear plastic over the top of your drawing. You should be able to place items on the layer without affecting the layers below it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why not use Draw to insert the picture and then add textboxes on top with your labels and save the whole thing to a new .png file? This way you can adjust the labels afterward if needed.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MsKelly65

Post by MsKelly65 »

How do I add text boxes? I looked and looked for that but couldn't figure it out.
MsKelly65, Windows 10
MsKelly65

Post by MsKelly65 »

I never could get it to let me place a text box with the [T] button. What I tried that will work for me is copying text from another application and pasting it on the new layer. Then I can copy and paste that text box multiple times, changing the text inside to what I need.

Your answers all helped me to figure out what I needed to search for in the OpenOffice help section, so thank you very much!
MsKelly65, Windows 10