CD box - How to texture it ?

Discuss the drawing application
arfgh

CD box - How to texture it ?

Post by arfgh »

I made a cd box, and want to texture it. But i have a problem, it seems that draw only allow to put one texture per object.
So in that case, exist a way to put the big front texture for the cover, and the l ittle texture on its edge ?

The idea is to do the famous dvd boxes in 3d that are around there.
Is it possible to do in in draw ?

thx in advance
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
keme
Volunteer

Re: CD box - How to texture it ?

Post by keme »

arfgh wrote:I made a cd box, and want to texture it. But i have a problem, it seems that draw only allow to put one texture per object.
So in that case, exist a way to put the big front texture for the cover, and the l ittle texture on its edge ?
By "texture" I assume you mean "text".
Make multiple objects for separate text items. If needed, you can group objects to make them behave as one.
arfgh wrote:The idea is to do the famous dvd boxes in 3d that are around there.
Is it possible to do in in draw ?
They are around where? Is that the "small book" sized DVD covers, or something else?
Draw provides simple 3D-effects for some object types, but those are very limited. It is not anywhere near 3D modeling, so if you do 3D printing (which makes the "texture" part more relevant), you need to look for other software.
For "holographic" type 3D imagery you need special printing with some optical cover on top, I believe. There are no useful tools for this in Draw.
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

no, i meant texture. The problem i have is this, look the next picture:

So i made a 3D object in draw and i want to put a picture that have the front cover and in the left part the edge of it, like in the picture. For some reason i am unable to do it. The edge in the object once is converted into 3D, i cant texture that face. Also i have been messing around, and i found no way to do it.
OpenOffice last version | Mageia Linux x64 | Ubuntu Linux | Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 | Java last version
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Right!

As I mentioned, the 3D effect in Draw is only a visual gimmick. You can't do anything (that I know of) to the faces created by the effect.

For 3D modeling there are lots of tools to look at. For instance you could use Sketchup, Fusion360 or Blender.
  • Sketchup is a general purpose modeling tool and probably the easiest one to get started with. Don't know whether you can apply textures in the free version, and the "Pro" version is not exactly cheap, but there is a Pro trial...
    Fusion360 is the entry level tool from Autodesk (where AutoCAD comes from), which is probably better than Sketchup with material properties/textures, measurements and other technical details (likely to be useful if you intend to submit your model for industrial production/3D-print).
    Blender is more of an artis's tool, with lots of community delveloped content (incl. textures), and also provides animation features sufficient for movie creation.
They are all free to download and use (within various limitations/requirements).
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

but should be possible. Draw allow us to texture diferent planes, and in theory should be possible to joint them....
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

Someone else tried to create this with draw ? come on !
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Draw allows setting properties on individual objects. Faces of a 3D object are parts of the same object. You can "enter group", but I cannot find any way to treat the faces individually.

What you can do is to use the 3D object as a "perspective guide" when drawing in 2D:
  • Create a 3D box with the dimensions you need, and rotate as desired.
    You can add a graphic (image, hatching, etc.). This graphic will show on the front face, and mirrored on the back. Other sides will have stripes, seemingly "extruded" coloring inherited from the graphic. Further editing may cause those lines to shift erratically, especially if the graphic is a bitmap image.
  • Create a rectangle for each of the visible faces on the 3D object.
  • Edit the rectangles to your liking.
    Add text, graphics, transparency, etc
  • Rotate and skew the rectangles to match the 2D projection of the 3D faces, and move them into position.
    Some features may not follow the resize/rotate/skew operations. You just have to try it to see what you can do.
The final result is not something that can be manipulated as one 3D object. It is a projection of a 3D motive to a 2D workspace. Also, the texture settings available for 3D object seems to apply to the front face, with random effect (sometimes akin to the "image extrusion" mentioned above) on the sides.

I'd say that this approach is more hassle than it is worth in most cases. Use proper 3D modeling tools instead. The learning curve is not that steep, and the results will be better.
arfgh

Post by arfgh »

seems no easy.... and it should be..
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For CD and DVD cases I draw non-printing boundary lines, then place an image or a graphic to fill them, overlaid with whatever text I need. I trim the printed image to markers and fold to fit the case.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS