[Solved] Angled straight lines with rounded corners - how?

Discuss the drawing application
AndyNoCo

[Solved] Angled straight lines with rounded corners - how?

Post by AndyNoCo »

I've been through all the posts about rounded corners and Bezier curves, but I'm still stumped:

How do I draw a line with angles, that has straight line segments and rounded corners at the angles? I used the Polygon curve tool to make an "open ended" polygon. But in Format > Position and Size > Slant & Corner Radius, Corner radius is dimmed. (Please see my attachment.)

The simplest example is drawing an "L" shaped line, with the corner rounded to, say, 0.25". More complex is a zig-zag line with straight segments but rounded corners at the angles - not necessarily 45 degrees.

I'm sure the answer is Bezier curves, but I'm too dimwitted to make the Edit Points tools work. When I move the Bezier handles, everything goes into cattywampus "S" curves.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Attachments
Rounded Line Corners.odg
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Last edited by AndyNoCo on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Mojave 10.14.3, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6, Legacy Java 6
acknak

Re: Angled straight lines with rounded corners - how?

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. The lines in your sample already have rounded corners—you just have to zoom in far enough to see them.

If you're looking for a line that follows a smooth path, then yes, you want a Bezier curve. You can convert what you have to a curve by Modify > Convert > To Curve. Once that's done, you can use "Edit Points" mode and drag the control handles to get the curve you want.
Attachments
Rounded Line Corners_curves.odg
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
AndyNoCo

Re: Angled straight lines with rounded corners - how?

Post by AndyNoCo »

I modified acnack's technique. First I draw the lines with two points at each angle. Then I click on the first point in the angled section, and the Edit Points menu pops up. Then I click Convert To Curve.

The two points in the angled segment each get one Bezier handle - only on the inside, not both sides. The other points in the line do not change to Bezier points.

Then I zoom in and move the points and Bezier handles around to get the desired curve. I get perfectly straight segments with smoothly rounded angles. One thing was a huge help: turn on Snap To Grid.

Thanks, acknack. I couldn't have done it without your help.
Attachments
Two-pointed_curves.odg
(9.86 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Mojave 10.14.3, Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6, Legacy Java 6
acknak

Re: [Solved] Angled straight lines with rounded corners - ho

Post by acknak »

Right. Nice improvement!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23