OpenOffice has stopped working

Discuss the drawing application
Colin Turpin

OpenOffice has stopped working

Post by Colin Turpin »

Hello, I have this problem when trying to open certain drawing files. Drawings that were created on a PC running Windows XP and another on Windows 7, it is not possible to open these on the Windows 10 PC. However files created on the Windows 10 PC open correctly. I have tried the signature reset and also reinstalled open office with the same result. Please advise, Thank you
OpenOffice 4-1-3 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Open Office has stopped working

Post by RoryOF »

What message or symptoms are there when you try to open these older files on the Win 10 computer?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Colin Turpin

Post by Colin Turpin »

Thanks for your reply. The message shows "OpenOffice 4.1.3 has stopped working." "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." The load document green bar at the bottom of the screen stops half way across. Thanks
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How are the files being transferred from the older Windows versions? Are they being opened from a DVD/CD/USB device? If so, try moving a file (at system level) to a local hard drive and opening it there.
Colin Turpin

Post by Colin Turpin »

Hi. I have tried both opening from a USB key and also copying the files to the local hard drive, it makes no difference.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Check the file sizes - OpenOffice generates (hidden) lock files for housekeeping purposes. These should usually be invisible and deleted on closure of their main file but it often happens that they are mistaken for the main files. Such housekeeping files are typically a few hundred bytes in size (say 500/600 bytes), whereas their main files are always greater than 6 KB.

The pause in loading suggests to me a file permissions problem, such as by OO being unable to generate a backup or copy file in the location of the file being opened; lesser possibility is that OO is doing a font substitution, which is usually instantaneous.

It would be helpful if you could upload a small, i.e., less than 128 KB, sample file to the Forum for testing. The Upload tab is below the Submit button on Post Reply and Full Editor screens,
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I notice your topic is in Draw. Are these by any chance PDF files? If so, you may not have the PDF extension for OO installed, which will try to open PDF files in Draw to permit cosmetic chnges be made in them.

I'm now going offline for a few hours - places to go, people to see.
Colin Turpin

Post by Colin Turpin »

XDS LA Lighting Car Roof (S.1).odg
(26.2 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Colin Turpin

Post by Colin Turpin »

These are .odg files and not .pdf
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your file opened for me immediately - there was some cramping due to substitution of different fonts - it wanted Swis721 BT. I'm definitely offline now!
DiGro

Re: OpenOffice has stopped working

Post by DiGro »

Opens like a charm on my machine.
No problem at all

EDIT: is the extension.odg connected to OpenOffice Draw ?

in Win 10 go to Settings, search for Default app and connect the type .odg to OpenOffice Draw.

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
Colin Turpin

Post by Colin Turpin »

Hi Thanks for your reply. I have checked this and it linked as you say. What else should I check? Thanks
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think you should rename your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer). Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.

If that doesn't help, delete the User Profile (again) and reinstall OO.
Colin Turpin

Post by Colin Turpin »

Hello; Sorry for the delay : Thanks for your reply. I have tried what you suggest including reinstalling but it behaves exactly the same. I have tried opening the files again on another pc (win 7) all is ok so I know it is not corrupted files. I guess it must be something to do with Win 10. Any ideas what I could try next?