Draw on Mac Insert Picture from Photos Library

Discuss the drawing application
adamsr2

Draw on Mac Insert Picture from Photos Library

Post by adamsr2 »

OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Mac OS X Sierra. I go to Insert Picture from File and then see the "Photos Library" folder. I click on it to see the pictures in the "folder" to select one. I get a message box: "Unknown Graphics Format".

Then a test: I use Finder, before launching Drawing, to take a picture out of "Photos Library" and place it in another folder. I can then open Drawing, navigate to that folder and file. I can insert it then just fine.

Do I have to duplicate all the photos in "Photos Library" in another folder in order to insert them in Drawing? I want to keep using my library. It syncs with iCloud. I don't want to have to put every photo I add into two folders.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 for Mac OS X Sierra
MrProgrammer

Re: Draw on Mac Insert Picture from Photos Library

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I use a Mac, but not Sierra — too many problems with that reported here.
adamsr2 wrote:I get a message box: "Unknown Graphics Format".
So it would seem that Apple's "Photos Library" application uses a nonstandard format for pictures. It's not possible for Open Office to open every possible proprietary file format from hundreds of technology companies. My version can open all of these however.
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 21.01.30 .png
adamsr2 wrote:Do I have to duplicate all the photos in "Photos Library" in another folder in order to insert them in Drawing? I want to keep using my library. It syncs with iCloud.
No, just export the ones you want to use with Open Office. If it were my project I'd export the photo from "Photos Library" to a temporary location (I like to use the Desktop), insert it in Open Office, then delete it from the Desktop. This keeps the file in one place. Duplicating files in multiple locations makes it confusing about which is the "real" one. If you keep a lot of files on your Desktop, create a folder to hold the temporary exported photos. When you're done working with Open Office it's easy to open the folder (with Finder) and drag everything inside to the Trash.
adamsr2 wrote:Then a test: I use Finder, before launching Drawing, to take a picture out of "Photos Library" and place it in another folder. I can then open Drawing, navigate to that folder and file. I can insert it then just fine.
Presumably Finder understands that the proprietary format is only allowed in the "Photos Library" and converts it for you.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
adamsr2

Post by adamsr2 »

Thanks! My files are JPEG, but Draw still cannot open them in "Photo Library". I thought of the export to the desktop idea. It's just a long way around the barn to get the job done. Wish Text Document would insert all pictures pre-rotated. Then I wouldn't have to open Drawing and export my pictures before inserting in Drawing. Oh well...
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It may be that the element in the "Insert from file" dialog is not a folder, but a sort of "pipeline" into an app, and that OpenOffice does not support this type of "data abstraction".

Just a thought: Have you tried to open Draw (or even Writer) and the Pictures app side by side, and drag a picture over?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
adamsr2

Post by adamsr2 »

Good idea! I tried it, but it wouldn't work. Nice try though!