Creating a white image

Discuss the drawing application

Creating a white image

Postby babymable » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Ok I need some help. I made a design for a customer in navy blue but she also wanted the same thing but done in white so she could print it on a dark coloured t-shirt. I created a drawing and changed the background to black so I could see the font, I then changed all the font to white and deleted the black background leaving a white page as I obviously can't see the font as it's white. I exported it as a jpeg and then tried opening the jpeg just to make sure it would work but when I opening the jpeg against a black background the entire page turns white. So I then opened up the original file and use the colour replacer to replace the white background to transparent but it's not givng me the option. This is the first time I have ever tried making a white design so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, can any one help.
Last edited by babymable on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.0 Windows Vista
babymable

Re: Creating a white image

Postby keme » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

If you export an entire drawing to an image file, the paper color will also be exported. Select all content (ctrl+A) before you export. That should bring up a checkbox in the file export dialog: export selection only. Tick that, and select an image format which supports transparency (png does, jpg doesn't).

Do you have hardware which will output white ink? "Homebrew" iron-on sheets for standard printers will not help much...
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby babymable » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 am

Thank you so much for that. I didn't realise that jpeg doesn't support transparency so thanks for telling me. I'm not actually printing it out for her she purchased a digital file in navy colours which I have done already but then she asked about a white version as well. I believe she is getting a commercial company to print the shirts for her as it's for a Hockey team.
Open Office 4.1.0 Windows Vista
babymable

Postby keme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:23 am

Professional transfer may require/prefer vector images. Export to svg and/or eps as well, and perhaps even pdf. (Some transfer shops do not accept "raw" vector files, and will ask you to convert svg/eps to pdf. I'm not sure why...) Advise your customer to consult the transfer business about preferred graphics format.
Apache OO 3.4.1/4.1.2/4.1.3, on Ms Windows 7/10 and Mac OS-X 10.8.5 and 10.11.
LibreOffice 4.3.3.2 on Mepis Antix MX 14
keme
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Never use JPG for anything except a photo or a painting and definitely not for anything with text. See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.
AOO 4.1.4, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the up to date Writer guide for information. Click the Help button on a pop-up window for extensive help on that function.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 pm

It all depends on how it is being printed. If by silk-screen (serigraphy) the same image/silk-screen will do for any colour, as serigraphy is one of the few printing processes that will print opaque white. The printing company should be able to advise if a second image is required.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Return to Draw