[Solved] Eraser for an image?

Discuss the drawing application
davidlaing

[Solved] Eraser for an image?

Post by davidlaing »

I want to alter an image I imported to Oo Draw.To do that, I first need to get rid of some stuff in the image. I immediately looked for an eraser, because that's what I used to use in Mac Paint, but I couldn't find one. What do I do next? Tx.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.2. on Mac OS X 10.9.5
MrProgrammer

Re: eraser?

Post by MrProgrammer »

davidlaing wrote: I first need to get rid of some stuff in the image. I immediately looked for an eraser … but I couldn't find one.
Please search first before posting. Search found 24 matches: +eraser
 Edit: Note that [Solved] How can I access an eraser? is your own post from 11 months ago and you have marked it as Solved
Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 22.10.18 .jpg
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Didn't help. Most of those 24 posts were mine. What next?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I want to alter an image I imported to Oo Draw.To do that, I first need to get rid of some stuff in the image. I immediately looked for an eraser, because that's what I used to use in Mac Paint, but I couldn't find one. What do I do next? Tx.
The draw is a VECTORGRAPHIC drawing software. You can not edit the pixelgraphic pictures with the Draw. Use a third party picture editor software for it. There are many free and/or open source vectorgraphic editor softwares.

You can only insert or delete, rotate, resize, mirror, etc... (in other word: organize) the pictures with the Draw.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Edit:  
I only marked it as "solved" because I didn't get any useful input from this forum and wound up doing a work-around of my own devising. Thank you for your advice. If I do find a solution, I'll be sure to mark this thread as "solved."

I've attached the file in question. What I want to do is to get rid of the label "Expected change" and, if possible, the arrowhead next to it. When I try to select these elements, I wind up selecting the whole graphic. Any ideas on how to do this? Tx.
Attachments
540px-Carbonate_system_of_seawater.svg.png
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

It is a Graph. You can recreate the graph with the Calc application, and then you can copy/paste it into your textual document. In this case you will able to modify all of the properties of the graph.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your attached file is a .png type pixelgraphic picture, but the filename contains the string: 'svg'. If you has the source version of your file (the real vectorgraphic .svg file), then there is some chance to edit the .svg picture with the LibreOffice Draw application, and maybe you will able simply delete the label. Otherwise you need use a pixelgraphic editor - like the Gimp - for editing the pixels of the picture .
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

It looks like you have uploaded the image with an SVG extension (which indicates a vector format), but it appears to be a png (bitmap) image file. If indeed you have an SVG file inserted into your drawing, you can most likely ungroup the object. "Ungroup" should then appear as an option on the context menu when you right click the graph.

Note that SVG object groups may have connections between components which are not handled so well by Draw. Sometimes when you ungroup an SVG object, lines move, disappear or change color/width.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Sorry, but I couldn't find the "Calc application" you mention. Also, do I alter the graph before or after I paste it into the document? Tx.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Sorry, but I couldn't find the "Calc application" you mention.
????????????????????? :shock:
Had you worked with spreadsheets anytime?

The AOO (and the LO) contains some different applications:
- Writer for the textual documents
- Calc for the spreadsheets
- Base for the databases
- Draw for the vectorgraphic pictures
- Impress for the multimedia presentations...
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

I imported the image into iPhoto, where I'm able to erase the label in question, but not the arrowhead, using the Retouch tool, but I lose the axes, which are important. Any ideas on how to do this without losing the axes? I suppose I can live with the arrowhead. Tx.
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

What's a "spreadsheet?" Also, what are "The ADO" and "The LO?" Tx.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What's a "spreadsheet?" Also, what are "The ADO" and "The LO?" Tx.
That is not ADO but AOO = Apache OpenOffice...
LO = LibreOffice: a fork of the OpenOffice

What are you using as text editor???
What's a "spreadsheet?"
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Basically, what I need is for someone to say "OK, if you want to do this with this graphic, you need to do this: x, y, z." Tx.
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

If by "text editor," you mean "word processing program," I'm using Word for Mac 2011.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Basically, what I need is for someone to say "OK, if you want to do this with this graphic, you need to do this: x, y, z." Tx.

OK, if you want to do this with this graphic, you need to do this:

1. solution:
Download and install a pixelgraphic editor (the Gimp or other), and modify your pixelgrafic picture (erase some pixels). Save it, and then use it as you want...

2. solution:
Get the .svg version of your graph, open (or import) it into Apache OpenOffice Draw application, ungroup it (if it is possible) delete the labels what you not needed, save it, and use it as you want...

3. solution:
Launch the Apache OpenOffice Calc application, create a table with the data values of your graph, create a new graph ( without the unwanted parts) export it into the desired fileformat, and the use it as you want...
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Tx!