Layers and transparency issues

Discuss the drawing application
dirtgirl

Layers and transparency issues

Post by dirtgirl »

Hi again,

It's possible I'm just being obtuse here, but I'm having a problem.

The job I have is to trace some outlines onto a map, and give it to the client in JPEG format. He's sent me the original (unmarked) map, plus a scan of a map that he's marked up for me.

I've imported both the marked-up version and the original map into a Draw doc in separate layers. My plan was to set the transparency on the plain map layer to 50% or so, in order to see the lines he'd drawn on the other map, then trace over them and export just my traced layer.

The problem is that no matter how large I set the transparency, the other layer doesn't seem to be showing through - not sure what I'm doing wrong! I've created new layers for both, so I don't think they're locked, or anything like that.

I need both the original scanned map in my final export, plus my tracing over the top, and they need to match neatly and exactly.

Can anyone help? Am I being an idiot?

A million thanks!
Amanda
NeoOffice 2015.10, running on Mac OSX El Cap, 10.11.6
acknak

Re: Layers and transparency issues

Post by acknak »

My plan was to set the transparency on the plain map layer to 50% or so ...
This seems to work for me.

How are you setting the transparency? I don't know of any way to set the transparency for a layer. When you have an image selected, the image toolbar should appear (mine is docked below the main toolbar). If you don't see it, you may need to check its setting: View > Toolbars > Picture:ON

On the image toolbar, there's a transparency field; setting that to 50% allows a background image to show through.

Note that the Draw layers have no z-order. The same z-order (Modify > Arrange > Send to front/back) is independent of the ayers.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23