[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.3 no longer opens Adobe PDF files

Discuss the drawing application
impasse

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.3 no longer opens Adobe PDF files

Post by impasse »

I have Windows 10 and made 2 changes:
1) downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Reader
2) downloaded openoffice 4.1.3.

After downloading Adobe DC, I found out it has no option to save a PDF file to the documents folder on my computer. So I uninstalled it and downloaded an older version of Adobe Reader (around 2012) which allowed me to save an Adobe PDF to my computer.

But when I try to open the saved Adobe PDF with Openoffice Draw, I now get an ASC11 Filter Options (Western Europe, Times New Roman, English New Zealand, CR & LF) instead of the PDF in the Draw window. When I click OK on the ASC11 Filter Option's window, the Draw page comes up but stays empty. This never used to happen. I was always able to open an Adobe PDF file with openoffice.

Could anyone here suggest what I could do to get back to being able to open Adobe PDF in Openoffice so I can use the draw functions to carry out a small changes just like I always have?

Hope you can help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows 10
RusselB

Re: openoffice 4.1.3 no longer opens adobe pdf files

Post by RusselB »

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC
This program does have the ability to save to your documents folder (or any other folder) on your computer.
I found that the usual routine most people expect, using ctrl+s, is greyed out in the menu, and unavailable via the actual key strokes or the menu.
There is a Save As (under File) shortcutted at Ctrl+Shift+S, which brings up a dialog system allowing you to pick a folder on your computer or to a cloud option.

As far as Open Office is concerned, there is an extension that, in theory, allows minor editing of a PDF file.
There have been a few posts regarding the extension, some of which say it works, some say it doesn't. Personally I've never managed to get it to work.
From my reading, it appears that the extension works best with a PDF file that has an ODF composition, thus not all PDF files will work.

You can try the extension, which is located in http://extensions.openoffice.org if you want. It may be what you're needing to accomplish your tasks.

If it is not, then I'm out of ideas, as any PDF file that I've needed to edit has been editable in Adobe Acrobat.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
impasse

Post by impasse »

Thanks RusselB. I went back and downloaded Adobe DC again, and was able to save the PDF. So that's a plus.

I was definitely able to open Adobe PDF's with Draw before (did it lots of times to cover unnecessary images with white rectangles from Draw to make things look less cluttered). I'm wondering if Adobe now prevent the Openoffice PDF editing facility being used.

I should have left the old version of Adobe alone.
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows 10
impasse

Post by impasse »

<SOLVED>

Not sure what I did other than remove the existing PDF editor and downloaded a different one into Open Office. It takes longer than before to open an Adobe PDF in Draw, but at least it does open.

Oddly enough, when I tried to download the original PDF extension back into openoffice, the library refused to accept it, then gave the option of updating to a newer version, before again saying the library couldn't accept it. Yet it's still in the extensions manager saying Error: the status of this extension is unknown. The PDF extension and I are not good friends.
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The installer pack of the LibreOffice contains the PDF Import extension by default, and it works.
But this feature allows you to make a minimal cosmetics only, because the PDF Import freature of AOO and LO is not a full featured PDF editor software. (Never was and never will be.)

The .pdf fileformat of the Adobe was developed to printing, and reading (and for filling-in the forms), but not for full re-editing.

(If you want edit the Adobe fileformats, then you must buy the Adobe editor software.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.