[Solved] Drawing one line then another

Discuss the drawing application
RadioRon

[Solved] Drawing one line then another

Post by RadioRon »

My habits were formed using Visio, so this problem is because I want it to work like Visio. I want to draw a series of line segments. I select the Line tool with a double click and draw the first line. When done, this first line has little squares covering its end points. I want to draw the second line beginning at the endpoint of the first line, but Draw won't let me do that. Draw assumes I want to move that first line's endpoint. In order to add my next line, I am forced to leave the Line tool which deselects the first line, then select Line tool again. This is an annoying number of clicks. In Visio, I could simply draw the first line, then, with my cursor at the first line's endpoint, draw the next line. Is there a way to do that so simply in Draw?
Last edited by RadioRon on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: drawing one line then another

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the Polygon feature.
Drawing toolbar - Curve - Polygon
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RadioRon

Post by RadioRon »

Thanks, but I want each line to be an individual object that can be moved and resized independent of the other lines. Polygon does not give me this.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You can break (explode) the Polygon object, by the
Right click on the polygon - Break
or from the menu:
Modify - break
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RadioRon

Post by RadioRon »

Wow. That is a breakthrough for me, I did not know about this "break" feature. This is a good antidote to my old Visio habit. Thank you so much!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Remember that OpenOffice is a different suite to MS Office (and associated programs); it is in many respects functionally equivalent, but these equivalences may be reached by different methods than those to which you are used, so don't make the mistake of many newcomers to OO and expect it to be or try to make it into a clone of some other program.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RadioRon

Post by RadioRon »

I have seen your point when using Calc instead of Excel. I can get every function or feature that I am familiar with in Excel, but sometimes have to find it a different way. Old habits die hard. Thank you.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you can't find a feature you desire, please ask. Sometimes, if not available directly, it can be done using a workaround.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS