File Conversion

Discuss the drawing application
rhennessy@nyc.rr.com

File Conversion

Post by rhennessy@nyc.rr.com »

Hi folks

I have 3 drawings that were created in Open Office Draw. In order to use them in another application I converted the files from .odg to .jpg. I would now like to edit those drawings and so how do I convert them back to the .odg format?

All the best
Bob H
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.2
acknak

Re: File Conversion

Post by acknak »

The jpeg files would most likely be images, which can't be back-converted to editable drawings.

Do you not still have the .odg files?

I don't know of any conversion that would remove the original files without at least asking you. What steps did you follow to do the conversion?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

How did you do the conversion? Did you use File -> Save As and then give the file the same name, but with the .jpg extension?
This is the most common method, and means that the .odg files still exist where you saved them (presuming you didn't manually delete them).
If you used some other method, such as doing a rename of the .odg file to .jpg, then you can just rename the file back from .jpg to .odg
If you did rename the file then you didn't actually convert the file, you just renamed it.

If you used some method other than the two I have mentioned, please tell us how you did the conversion so that we may be able to help you further.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Just some thoughts to illustrate why your question ...
rhennessy@nyc.rr.com wrote:... I would now like to edit those drawings and so how do I convert them back to the .odg format? ...
... does not have an easy answer, so you only get ...
acknak wrote:... can't be back-converted to editable drawings. Do you not still have the .odg files?
In Draw you work with objects, much like a collage. You can move the individual elements around.
Converting to jpg is like taking a photo of that collage. A photo is easier to work with in some contexts, but can't be easily converted back to your collage, because the physical features of each component are removed.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
rhennessy@nyc.rr.com

Post by rhennessy@nyc.rr.com »

Thank you all for your insights.

Bob H
Windows 10
Open office 4.1.2