[Solved] Arcs in Degrees & Line Lengths

Discuss the drawing application
JustBaffled

[Solved] Arcs in Degrees & Line Lengths

Post by JustBaffled »

Question 1: I use “Draw” to detail items for fabrication. I am trying to draw a circular flange with holes spaced around at 72 degree intervals (5 holes). Is it possible to draw two radial lines with a specific subtended arc?

Question 2: When using the “Dimension Line” icon it gives the lengths in the box at the base of the screen. However I find it difficult to achieve a specific accurate length using the mouse. Is it possible to type in the specific length required?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards, JustBaffled!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.11.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Arcs in Degrees & Line Lengths

Post by Zizi64 »

Question 1: I use “Draw” to detail items for fabrication. I am trying to draw a circular flange with holes spaced around at 72 degree intervals (5 holes). Is it possible to draw two radial lines with a specific subtended arc?
Use the Edit - Duplicate function.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I have no idea about your question. I think you can better work with a real CAD program. I have little experience with Qcad but I found it was not so difficult to learn.

http://qcad.org/en/qcad-downloads-trial

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Question 2: When using the “Dimension Line” icon it gives the lengths in the box at the base of the screen. However I find it difficult to achieve a specific accurate length using the mouse. Is it possible to type in the specific length required?
You can
- modify the displayed values near the line as you want. The displayed value will not depend on the length of the dimension line.
- you can set the position and length of the line exactly by right click on the line: choose the "Position and size" from the floating toolbar.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

For exact positioning of shapes, and also for future transitioning from 2D drawing to 3D modeling, it is advisable to use proper CAD software. You can use Draw for simple drawings, but when you need exact placement, angles, circles positioned by center, etc., you have to depend on workarounds. Also, your drawings (file format) may not be supported by fabrication systems (CAM equipment, like CNC machines and 3D printers).

QCAD (suggested above) is a better tool for you. There is a learning curve, but then you will be working more efficiently. Also, AutoCAD Fusion 360 may be something to look at. There is a cost (monthly fee), but for hobbyists, starting enterprises or small businesses (generating revenues of less than $100000 per year) it can be used free of charge.

Both QCAD and Fusion will work on your Mac.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
JustBaffled

Post by JustBaffled »

ZiZi64; Thank you for your replies, I now have the means!

RPG & Keme; I have used Autocad very occasionally in the past and other drawing programmes as well, one in particular is “Draft-It” which, unlike AutoCad, was simple, easy and free but is not unfortunately available for Mac users. I have never used the likes of AutoCad enough to be able to become proficient in their use and I've now packed up the day job and use drawing programmes for small, intermittent jobs that I need for my restoration projects. I haven't heard of “QCAD” but I will nevertheless have a look at it and if I can become familiar enough to use it efficiently then I will. The small fabricators and machine shops I get to make the items I need don't need the computer aided systems that are the norm in modern industrial processes these days.

Thank you all for your help, the expertise available on this particular “blog” is outstanding and I'm always amazed by people's generosity when it comes to helping others.

Regards, JustBaffled.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I strongly second the recommendation to use something closer to a CAD package.

This is possible to do with OO Draw, using the Edit > Duplicate ... function. To manage the circular layout, use a temporary construction line that links the object to the center of rotation. After you finish the duplication, you can use the construction lines to arrange the objects (the "snap to object points" option makes this fairly simple to get right).
five_holes.png
You can sort of manage it directly by positioning the "center of rotation" when rotate mode (red handles) is on. But you need some way to drag the center point and position it accurately.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JustBaffled

Post by JustBaffled »

Thank you Acknak fot your help and advice. I have downloaded QCAD and will see how I get along with the programme. At first glance it seems a lot simpler than AutoCad and more all embracing than Draft-It (which I was a big fan of). I will, however, finish the current sketch with Draw and make use of the excellent advice I have received from all concerned.

Regards, JustBaffled.