Same text different number on pages

Discuss the drawing application
thephil26

Same text different number on pages

Post by thephil26 »

hello,

i am trying to print labels. i have no problem printing multiple labels as long as the text is the same on each one. sometimes i have to print multiple labels with a different "page number" on them, but the same text otherwise. example 1 of 32, 2 of 32, 3 of 32... would be the only thing different on each label.
is there a simple way to do this?
thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: same text different number on pages

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Are you using File > New > Labels ... ?

If so, this gets tedious unless you're merging data from a data source. You have to make sure you un-tick the "synchronize contents" option when you first generate the blank label sheet, then you have to manually copy/paste the duplicated info, one label at a time. Then you can edit the page number data for each label.

For projects like this, I've set up all the data in a spreadsheet, where it's easy to copy/duplicate stuff, then merged that into the labels. It's a bit steep to get set up but after that it's a breeze.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
thephil26

Re: same text different number on pages

Post by thephil26 »

THAT DOES MAKE SENSE. I WILL GIVE IT A TRY.
ANOTHER PROGRAM I USE JUST AUTOMATICALLY KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES TO CHANGE THE COUNT BASED ON HOW MANY LABELS I AM PRINTING. THE PROBLEM IS, I CAN'T TRANSFER THAT PROGRAM TO MY OTHER COMPUTER WITHOUT BUYING IT AGAIN. BASICALLY HOLDING THE PROGRAM I PURCHASED RANSOM!
THANK YOU!!
acknak

Re: Same text different number on pages

Post by acknak »

Again, that sort of calculation is straightforward to set up in Calc (spreadsheet), making it simple enough to generate new labels with different numbering.

If you want to get a feel for setting up a data merge, take a look at this article: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org

If that seems within your comfort zone, that's what I'd recommend. If not, just manage it manually, or have a friend help you get it set up.
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

You can also use a database with a field contains consecutive numbers. Insert the fieldname followed by the NextRecord field and then Synchronize the labels.
When you print answer Yes to the "form letter" query and print records 1 through 32.

EDIT: I hadn't seen acknak's last post when I did this one so I guess we are saying the same thing in a different way.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

We are in the Draw forum, so I thought I'd propose a solution based on Draw. Some manual work, so it is not workable for a large number of labels.
Set the page size to match the size of a single label.
Format - Page.
Use the master page ("background page" in some versions/translations) to hold the numbering. Insert a text box where you have fields pagenumber and pagecount.
View - Master page. Insert - Field - pagenumber. Insert - Field - Page count. Close master page view.
Design your label, then copy it in the left pane (thumbnails) and paste it the required number of times.
When printing, select the number of pages per sheet and X/Y layout to match your label sheets. Do a test print on plain paper first.

Attachment should work for A4 label sheets with 3x9 labels per sheet.
Attachments
DrawLabels.odg
(9.03 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

keme wrote:We are in the Draw forum, ...
Ack! Good catch.

I never thought of using Draw to make labels!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I never thought of using Draw to make labels!
Unfortunately, you can use the predefined fields only (Date, Page number, Author, etc...), but can not use the user defined ones. Neither in AOO Draw nor in LO Draw. (This would be a great feature in the Draw application...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
thephil26

Post by thephil26 »

thanks again for the replies. much appreciated!!
i actually did do the copy and paste, paste, paste, .... but it was impractical for as many labels as i have to make.
i am not even sure draw is the best program to use for making labels, but it works great 95% of the time for me. the only time i have trouble is when i have a customer that requires each label to be unique. like, 1 of ?, 2 of ?, 3 of ?,...
brettbyrd

Post by brettbyrd »

Unfortunately, you can use the predefined fields only (Date, Page number, Author, etc...), but can not use the user defined ones. Neither in AOO Draw nor in LO Draw. (This would be a great feature in the Draw application...)
I got on this forum to see if I could do exactly what you say I cannot do. I really wish there was a way to have user defined fields. I am using Draw to do our company ID's and have to keep adding New ones instead of just using a form and database.

How would I go about suggesting this as a feature?
OpenOffice 4.1.1. on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

How would I go about suggesting this as a feature?
Use named graphical objects (rectangles) instead of the fields. Those have well formattable text label property.
You can use a macro to refresh/change the text of the label of the embedded graphical objects based on a database or other list, or table.

Or you can suggest it as a new feature to the developers on the bug report pages.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
acknak

Post by acknak »