Similar to Photoshop

Discuss the drawing application
ragincajun77346

Similar to Photoshop

Post by ragincajun77346 »

Hey guys, new member here. I've been a user of AOO for a long time using the text and spreadsheet options for almost everything.

Recently I wanted to start experimenting with making some banners for a website, basically a picture with a text overlay. In asking some of the guys that I had doing it for me they use Photoshop. So my question(s) is/are: Which option within Open Office is similar to PhotoShop (if there is one) and is there a tutorial anywhere (YouTube or elsewhere) on how to create such a thing (picture with text overlay) using an Open Office format?
Windows 7 Home Edition
Open Office 4.1.1
RoryOF

Re: Similar to Photoshop

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice Draw may do it, but it has not the power of Photoshop, which may be too powerful for what you need.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The OpenOffice Draw is a vectorgraphic software. You can handle (insert, resize, arrange, move, rotate, combine, etc...) the pixelgraphic images with the Draw...
But if you want to create or edit a complex pixelgraphic image, then you need use a pixelgraphic software: for example the Gimp.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
musikai
Volunteer

Post by musikai »

ragincajun77346 wrote:...basically a picture with a text overlay.
Besides Gimp and Inkscape for complex drawings I can recommend Photoscape for Windows. Very easy to use and for your task perhaps very well suited.
All mentioned software is free.

In Draw:
Just import your picture via drag'n drop or via menu and then from the "Drawing toolbar" select "Text". Click into the document and drag the mouse to give room for the text, then type. After that you can position the Text by dragging it over the image.

Edit:
Big advantages of Draw, Gimp, Inkscape over Photoscape: You can save your work as project in their own file format and edit your work later. In Photoscape you only can save your edited image. If you later decide that you want to change something you have to start again from the original image.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html