Newbie needs help

Discuss the drawing application
mike2874

Newbie needs help

Post by mike2874 »

I hope someone can help me I've never used this kind of software before. I bought some of these Blu-ray case inserts and was trying to see if I could use Draw with them http://www.professionallabel.com/Blu-ra ... ion43383HR

I've never used Draw before but was able to figure out how to insert the Prolabel template and insert my image into the template but the labels are not printing correctly.

I set my printer for Legal, Portrait, & Glossy but I must be doing something else wrong. When it prints it doesn't follow the template but instead prints the image about 1/3 the actual size. It doesn't come close to printing the full size of the template.

Probably something simple but I can't figure it out?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Newbie needs help

Post by RoryOF »

Your paper should be set to Landscape, both in /Format /Page and in /File /Print : properties
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mike2874

Post by mike2874 »

I just checked and Format/Page is set to already set to Landscape. i first tried Landscape in printer settings but when it printed it printed horizontally and the blu-ray insert needs to be printed vertically. Anyway I tried it both ways and neither setting worked it still doesn't print to the template.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are using Legal paper in the printer? Don't forget that there are two settings - the /Format /Paper and /File /Print : Properties. These must both match. Also, on /File /Print /Properties there may be another setting to scale the printed image (this depends on operating system and printer). It should be set to 100%
mike2874

Post by mike2874 »

Yes I am using Legal paper if you look at the link in my first post it shows the inserts are Legal paper. I made sure that the two settings - the /Format /Paper and /File /Print were the same both set to Legal & Landscape. I took some snapshots so maybe you can see what might be going wrong as even with these settings it's not printing to the size of the template.
Attachments
Printer Properties_Main.png
Format_Page.png
Template.png
mike2874

Post by mike2874 »

More snapshots guess it will only let me post so many.
Attachments
Printer Properties_Page Setup.png
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you look at your second screenshot, you will see that in the thumbnail, the Blueray image is (roughly) half the width and half the height of the selected paper. I've just measured a blueray insert and find that it should be (approx) 5 7/8 x 10 5/8 inches. Might your image be too small? I can see nothing wrong with your other settings.
mike2874

Post by mike2874 »

No I think the image is fine I normally use Acoustica for printing labels but they don't have a Blu-ray ProLabel template. They do provide basically a generic Blu-ray template and while close is not perfect it leaves a while band around an edge or two. Inserting the image into this template fits perfectly and if it wasn't for the fact it needs to print more to the edge I could use it. There maybe a way to allow for this but I hate to waste multiple inserts trying to experiment when I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing.

Anyway the image is fine I wish I could figure out to use Draw since I do have the ProLabel template for it.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For DVDs I made my own template which I use in Draw, printing to horizontal A4 (roughly US Letter). It is a simple template - text front, spine, blank back. I paste in a short text panel (description, director, actors) on the back which I print separately. All I need is that it be easily found when in a bookshelf.

Check the overall width of your Blueray image. I suspect it will be too short; if the blue image on your screenshot is measured, I think it will be about 7 3/4 inches. My thinking is that it should be 10 5/8 inches.
mike2874

Post by mike2874 »

Thanks for trying to help this just be over head. I just figured once you had a template it would be plug n play with Draw but apparently too many variables are involved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It looks to me as if the template is incorrect. No need to use US Legal paper when the correct size can fit in comfortably on US Letter; I suggest you have a look at the Prolabel site to see if there is some help there.
 Edit: I've had a look at their site and see that the Legal sheets are perforated to tear off at the correct size. If you are continuing to try to sort this (recommended) I suggest you print to ordinary US Legal paper in draft mode, (to save ink and expensive paper) until you get the image correctly positioned and sized. 
mike2874

Post by mike2874 »

Well I'm willing to not give up but it's not clear to me what to do next. The image is the correct size because like I said that image fits almost perfectly in my Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker using a generic Blu-ray template... just leaves a small band around outside not printed. The template comes from ProLabel and is supposed to work with this specific paper. Yes these are Legal sheets (8 1/2" x 14") and are perforated to tear off at the correct size (10.57" x 5.87").

It won't let post a snapshot of the image (too big) once inserted into Draw but it fits perfectly until you start making changes to the settings.