Changing Direction of Rulers

Discuss the drawing application
Davo96

Changing Direction of Rulers

Post by Davo96 »

I have set a new Ruler Origin 0H,0V to what used to be 2cm Horizontal and 10cm Vertical i.e. roughly across the middle of a Landscape A4 page. I then draw a horizontal line across the page at this new 0 horizontal position.

But if I then draw a vertical line 5cm long and position its lower end at 0,0 , its vertical position on the page is always shown as -5 with a length of 5.

How can I change the ruler direction so that the direction above the line results in a +ve direction instead of the current -ve direction.

How can I position the bottom end of the vertical line at 0,0 and have its position show as 0H,0V with a length of 5?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
acknak

Re: Changing Direction of Rulers

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry, it's not possible as far as I know.

But I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Maybe there is some other approach.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Davo96

Post by Davo96 »

Thanks.

I want to move the origin to a new point such that the X axis lies across the middle of an A4 landscape page. I draw a line across the page at that point representing ground level (let's call that the X-Axis line). No problem: I can do that.

I then want to draw a vertical line 5cm long, with the lower end resting on the X-Axis line. No problem placing the line in position.

BUT . . . whether I draw the line starting from the X-Axis and dragging up or start from a point 5cm above the X-Axis and drag down, the vertical position of the line is always shown as -5 instead of 0 and everything drawn above the line is shown as a -ve direction.

In most other programs I have used, anything above an X-Axis set at Zero has a +ve height and, if drawn upwards starting at Zero, has its position shown as 0. Flip it vertically (or draw it from a point 5cm above the X-Axis down to the X-Axis) and its position is shown as 5.

How do I set this up in OO? (Upwards is positive and the starting point of a vertical line is its position on the page relative to "ground level". Rightwards is positive and the starting point of a horizontal line is its position on the page relative to the horizontal origin.)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1. Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, it seems I wasn't very clear. I understand what you want to do, and it's not possible in OO Draw.

But why you want the position to be shown this way? What problem does it solve? Maybe there is some other approach.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23