Paste problem

Discuss the drawing application
kaithu

Paste problem

Post by kaithu »

I use Draw for collecting geneaology clips and notating them with text. Sometimes, not very often, when I try to paste a new clip into a page, instead of getting pasted somewhere on the page (to be moved to its intended place) it replaces the latest clip or notation. Doesn't matter if that latest clip or notation is "green-marked" or not. The only work-around that I have found is to paste the new clip onto another page and then cut it there and paste it on the intended page. Usually, but not always, this goes on until I closes Draw and start it again. Why does this happen and how can I avoid it? - I use Windows 10 on a PC, latest OpenOffice version in Swedish.
acknak

Re: Paste problem

Post by acknak »

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is a known problem that is fixed in the latest release (4.1.2, released last week).

If you can't upgrade to the new release, I believe you can work around the problem by first pasting into an empty page, then cut/copy & paste into the final location.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Thanks for the info! I will upgrade immediately.
Open Office 4.1.1 Windows 7
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

I updated and went on happily for a few days, but just now it happened again. The bug is still there. Not solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Did it work after you upgraded?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

No. I upgraded but exactly the same thing happened. It's not very often, perhaps one of two hundred pastes. So I can live with it, but it's irritating.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try perhaps to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Thanks, I will try that.
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

I did reset my user profile but sadly the error still persists.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Did you try the workaround--pasting first into an empty page?
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Yes, that's what I have done for a long time, but it's not very efficient to do that again and again, until it suddenly stops or I have to close and restart OpenOffice. When the problem started I thought it might depend on my large files (some of them nearly 100 pages) but the problem today concerned a file with only a few pages. I very often have 3-4 Draw files and 1-2 Calc files open at the same time. A few years ago the program crashed when a file reached 100 pages, but at that time I think I used LibreOffice (sorry!).
acknak

Post by acknak »

Right. I've had it happen with very simple documents.

Another possible workaround would be to save the image to a file, then use Insert > Picture > From file ...

It's a longer process but gives the advantage of having the images in a local file. For Writer documents that include a lot of images, I prefer to link to the image files rather than embedding: this allows a smaller Writer file and avoids the nasty bug where Writer loses embedded images.
kaithu

Post by kaithu »

Thanks for the answer, but I think I will stay with my current workaround. - This forum works very well, I must say. I have had three issues here and always got very prompt answers. - I should perhaps mention also, that this has nothing to do with Windows 10. The bug worked the same in Windows 7.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Right, it's in OO on Linux as well. I believe it came in with the coding of a new feature added recently.