[Solved] Text Box - Center Text vs. Center Box

Discuss the drawing application
cmalra

[Solved] Text Box - Center Text vs. Center Box

Post by cmalra »

I need to know how to center the text itself inside of a text box. I am always changing the text in the text box and need it to always center within the box. I am not talking about centering the text box itself on the page - I know how to do that.

I have tried to both highlight the text and select the box (blue select) and then press the center button, but the text itself never centers itself within the text box.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: Text Box - Center Text vs. Center Box

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

The steps you've mentioned should work. Have you created the text box using the "T" button on the Drawing toolbar (bottom) ro did you perhaps double-click on a shape and then enter the text?

The first case works with the text formatting button as you describe. For the latter case, I would check the text settings: right-click > Text > Text > ...
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
cmalra

Re: Text Box - Center Text vs. Center Box

Post by cmalra »

Yes...I used the "T" button.

I have been messing around and just solved the problem.

The issue was that the "text anchor" property defaults to the left corner of the text box. I had to actually change the text anchor property by clicking the top center button.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Captain Maybe

Re: [Solved] Text Box - Center Text vs. Center Box

Post by Captain Maybe »

Thanks, Cmalra! I just had this same issue. Sometimes I think the people who designed this software despise ordinary users.
OO 4.1.7, Windows 10