[Solved] Inserted picture repeated

Discuss the drawing application
M.Sand

[Solved] Inserted picture repeated

Post by M.Sand »

I have OpenOffice version 4.1.1 on Windows XP.

I created a new Draw file and filled the canvas with color via the Rectangle icon on the bottom toolbar and the Paint Bucket icon on the top toolbar.

Next I added a picture (number 4) via Insert > Picture > From File. Instead of creating the picture as a new object it filled the rectangle in a repeating tile manner.

If I first insert the picture and then draw the rectangle I can then move the rectangle to the back and get the correct result: the number 4 appearing once on the color background.

Why does the first scenario not work?
Attachments
sshot-2.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows XP
acknak

Re: Inserted picture repeated

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

There have been some changes recently in how this works. I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior or it could be a glitch.

What's happening is that, with an object selected, the inserted image becomes the object's area fill. Since your image is small compared to the rectangle, the image is repeated until the rectangle area is completely covered.

If you want the image as a separate object, just insert the image first, or make sure nothing is selected before you insert the image.

If you want a background color for the page, you might prefer to use Format > Page > Background ...
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
M.Sand

Post by M.Sand »

Thanks for the quick reply and the Format > Background tip.
I have the problem even when nothing is selected. I do consider this a major glitch.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

As always, it is easier to make a diagnose if you have the patient at hand, not so easy with only his picture...

Can you upload your file?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

M.Sand wrote:... I have the problem even when nothing is selected. ...
Yes, that sounds like a bug, but I can't get the problem to occur when I follow the steps you described.

As a workaround, I would try this:

Start a new slide (Insert > Slide ...) and then Insert > Picture > From file ... and choose your image file.

Then, cut/paste the image onto the slide you're working with.

I believe, if the slide is empty, then the image should not be inserted as an area fill.
M.Sand

Post by M.Sand »

The problem occurs with any shape I draw. For another example I started with a new file and drew the cylinder shape under Basic Shapes on bottom toolbar. The cylinder was filled with pale blue. Then I clicked outside the cylinder to deselect it. Then Insert > Picture > From File and selected the file 4.jpg. Very simple. Attached is the Draw file test.odg (prior to inserting the picture), the picture 4.jpg, and a screenshot of what happens after I insert the picture.
Attachments
sshot-2.jpg
4.jpg
test.odg
(9 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sure, here's what I get when I follow those steps:
draw_insert_image.png
Did you try the empty page workaround? I'm pretty sure that's the simplest approach.
 Edit: PS: 
There is an open report for this problem.
Issue 125181: When I Insert Picture from File, it changes the fill of a random shape to a Bitmap of that image.
You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.

The comments there indicate that the problem can't be reproduced on every system.

You may want to register and add a note describing your situation.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Confirmed on Windows 7 using AOO 4.1.1.

Perhaps a simpler workaround than new page: create a new layer. Hide the original layer (shift-click on the tab). Paste to the new layer. Unhide the original layer.

Strangely, when the first layer is not hidden, "paste" inserts graphic to the object there even when you activate the new layer.
If needed, you can cut from the new layer and paste to the old one.

(Which procedure is simpler depends on personal preferences, I guess. I prefer not to mess around with extra pages in Draw, but I know that layers can be confusing at times...)
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
M.Sand

Post by M.Sand »

Thanks, all, for your workaround suggestions. They worked for me.

I did notice that if I draw a smaller cylinder than in my example then when I insert the "4" it works just fine. Guess it's just a quirk in the program.