Global change to single image in multiple image doc

Discuss the drawing application
Artness

Global change to single image in multiple image doc

Post by Artness »

Hi -
I am an English teacher in Japan and wish to make a DIY Spot It game to introduce and practice vocabulary with my students. Here is a description of the game http://radiganengineering.com/2013/01/s ... y-do-that/

I need to make 31 cards with 8 images on each, each image repeated several times on several different cards, but with a find/replace for images?

I want to somehow tag or mark each image to make a different set for different vocabulary so when I change one image of, say, a blue sweater to a chicken it will change each instance of the image in the document.

I will then have a master document and will only have to change 20-something images to make a new set instead of hundreds of changes...

Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
acknak

Re: Global change to single image in multiple image doc

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work, but I can tell you there's no simple way to do in OO. There's no "find/replace for images" or anything like that.

Something like the blog page, you could use Python to generate OO Draw slides/files. Or you could use a Python macro in OO to generate the cards.

If you don't want to get into coding, it should be possible to toss something together by creating a slide in OO Draw that links to the image files, then shuffle the files and refresh the links, thus switching the images around. You can capture the generated arrangements by converting the linked images to embedded images, or just exporting as pdf.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Artness

Post by Artness »

OK, thanks for the lead! I'll look into the 'toss something together' route... Arigato gozaimasu!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Using linked images (not embedded) will replace all the relevant images when the target file is changed. A way to preserve your differing presentations would be to use a substitution table -
ImageA -> lineA of the substitution table which is Blue Sweater file in Presentation1
ImageA -> lineA of the substitution table which is Chicken file in Presentation2

I don't know how to get the Image mapping to take the value from the substitution table; I think it could be done with Hyperlinks, but they need to be clicked to display.

To get any of the different presentations, one would only need to use the substitution table for that presentation.
 Edit: Each image ought be the same size, to avoid disrupting the card layout. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS