[Solved] Rotating photos in Draw

Discuss the drawing application
mikemaas

[Solved] Rotating photos in Draw

Post by mikemaas »

In Draw I`d like to turn an Inserted photo 90 degrees. The Help library lists "rotate mode" and explains that there`s an icon that will let the photo sprout a rotation arm. It shows a picture of the icon but doesn`t say where to find that icon. I can`t find it. The icon is a tiny yellow square with a pattern of black dots and a broad blue anticlockwise arrow curling round underneath. Could anyone kindly advise ?

I have Open Office 4.1.1 and the machine runs on Windows 7.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu May 14, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.4.1 Windows 7
acknak

Re: rotating photos in Draw

Post by acknak »

It's in the Drawing toolbar, normally at the bottom of the screen, just below the editing area. It's fourth from the right; if you don't see it there, try maximizing the window--iit could be clipped if the window is too narrow.

If you don't see the Drawing toolbar at all, try View > Toolbars > Drawing: ON (checked).

You can also select the image and use Modify > Rotate ... that's the same as the toolbar button: click on any corner handle and drag to rotate. Hold shift as well to limit the rotation to multiples of 15°

Alternatively, you can use Format > Position & Size > Rotation ... and set the rotation point and angle, then OK.
 Edit: PS: 
Oh, yeah, with recent versions of OO, you can also use the sidebar (View > Sidebar: ON); look at the "Position & Size" panel.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
mikemaas

Re: rotating photos in Draw

Post by mikemaas »

Once again a lightning and comprehensive answer, acknak. Many thanks. I`ll Unsubscribe this topic now.
Open Office 3.4.1 Windows 7
dianeliz

Re: [Solved] Rotating photos in Draw

Post by dianeliz »

I can't find any of the options mentioned in this posting. I also want to rotate 90 degrees. This wouldn't even be a problem if when I inserted the photo, it had inserted it correctly, instead of rotating it sideways. I've tried deleting and inserting several times. I even saved a copy of the picture rotated sideways, but that one was inserted without further rotation.
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

A workaround method:

Rotate the pictures into the desired position with a third party image maneger software BEFORE you insert them into the document.
Try the free IrfanView software.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just checked - /Insert /Picture : from file inserts a picture into Draw. Right clicking on that picture gives a popup context menu; selecting Picture and Size from that menu then offers various options. Selecting the Rotation tab on these permits rotation of the picture. Saving and reopening the file showed the picture in the correct rotated orientation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, LibreOffice provides a context (right click) menu to rotate / flip pictures in Writer.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
dianeliz

Post by dianeliz »

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, and I tried again. But, the original image was already right side up. The popup on the picture has Picture in the menu, but not Size, and there is no rotation tab anywhere. I found the flip option early on, but it flips 180 degrees, so a sideways photo just becomes sideways the other way. I also looked at the tutorial, but I found nothing pertinent. By the way, I've been using Open Office for years, including with photos, and I've never had this problem before. My photos always inserted the way I'd saved them. The flip feature is useful when creating a greeting card. And that gave me another idea which solved my problem. I saved a copy of my photo upside down and inserted that one. Since it inserted upside down, I was able to flip it 180 degrees and finally get a right-side up photo! Job done!
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10