[SOLVED] setting coordinates--minor annoyance

Discuss the drawing application
hargrove

[SOLVED] setting coordinates--minor annoyance

Post by hargrove »

Is there a way to set the zero point on the coordinates (ruler) so that they persist. I'm working on the layout of musical instruments, basically at the limit of the native resolution of OOD. Not something that can be done in a single session, or on a single page. Everytime I save, move or copy a sheet, or navigate to a different sheet, OOD automatically resets the zero point of the coordinates to the upper LH corner.

Laying out a drawing to a fixed coordinate system referenced to a point or line on the object seems like something that should be supported. At this point Iave looked at all the Menus, the Help, and now the Forum and haven't seen anything relevant.

I'm a relative newbie, but have found OOD very intuitive and ideally-suited to my needs except for this one aspect. What am I missing?
Last edited by floris v on Sat May 02, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited Solved tag
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows8
acknak

Re: setting coordinates--minor annoyance

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry, I don't see any way to do this. As you say, the origin is reset any time you change pages. Even setting the origin on the master page doesn't stick.

You could try setting a snap point or guide; that is saved in the file and it would make setting the origin a bit easier.
... I'm working ... at the limit of the native resolution of OOD.
You can get full resolution by switching to millimeters as the measurement unit. As I understand it, OO Draw is limited internally to 0.01 mm.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
hargrove

Post by hargrove »

Thanks. With what I'm doing having a clear centerline is sacred, and having a reference point to measure length is a great convenience. Setting a snap point and or a guide may do the trick. If it does I may post the info for the benefit of anyone who may be trying to do the same thing. The program is ideally suited.

Thanks for the welcome, and for your other posts. I paged through quite a bit of the Forum and was impressed by your work here. I look forward to participating.

Best regards,'

Jim
hargrove

Re: setting coordinates--minor annoyance--SOLVED

Post by hargrove »

Setting snap lines for the coordinate axes and enabling the Snap to Guides looks like an ideal solution to the problem. In fact it is far better than a fixed coordinate system for my purposes, since it allows me to use different reference points for different aspects of the drawing. The snap to completely eliminates the tedium of trying to locate the zero point. Works like a charm.

Again, thanks for such a quick and accurate response to my question.

Jim
acknak

Post by acknak »

Glad to hear it works well for you!
acknak

Re: [SOLVED] setting coordinates--minor annoyance

Post by acknak »

Just FYI: I was reminded of a rather obscure feature of OO Draw that may be of use to you: it provides a way to reflect a shape across an arbitrary axis. To make a symmetrical object, you can design one half and create the other half as a reflected copy of the original.

You can find this under the "Effects" palette, labeled "Flip".